Monday, March 11, 2019

Learning Hospitality

To the woman in ministry, hospitality is perhaps one of the greatest qualities. Coupled together with discretion, grace, kindness, and joy, it can make a home very attractive indeed.

Hospitality -being friendly, generous, and welcoming to those in and around my home- is valued highly in this culture (Georgia, Europe). Though this is not a quality I naturally exemplify, I had the privilege of spending several months out of a year for many years with my aunt, who seems to have perfected it. We tease her about putting one of those revolving doors in her entry way; but it is true. People feel welcomed and at ease in her home. No matter how many pressures are stressing her, (and there are a bucket-load,) no matter the financial issues of adding another person or persons to the tight grocery budget, no matter if the people are draining her of everything she has plus some, my aunt is graciously hospitable. Here's a few of the things I have been remembering as I seek to demonstrate hospitality in our home.

1) Worry-free floors. Yes, you read that right. If the floor shows every speck of dirt, or I want it to be spotless, I am less inclined to have guests. When I do, they feel the stress of needing to not mess my floors/house. My aunt had easy hide-most-everything carpet, and then a vacuuming bot that ran at night. We still used the regular kind often, but when there were a lot of people, it took the pressure off. Also, she taught me the value of sheet "couch covers" that help the room look nice, yet are extremely washable.

2) Simple meals. I'm honestly not sure if my aunt cooks. She must, for her children all know how to cook at least one or two meals each; but I don't remember my aunt cooking much. When she did, it was in a can, frozen, or throw-together easy. My home being on a farm, I didn't always appreciate the wisdom in this. With a quick-prep ready meal, preparing the food becomes less a priority (as my memory can attest) and the eating and fellowship becomes the focus. This frees the hostess' time and mind to other, truly more important, things.

3) F.l.e.x.i.b.l.e. Schedule. My aunt has time for people. She doesn't MAKE time for people. She HAS time for people. People are important to her. No matter how hectic the household may be, if you need her, she's there. Every time I stayed in her home, there was always something going on: VBS, Financial Freedom meetings, family get-togethers, etc, and in the midst of it all, my aunt could sit down and counsel me in my need without me feeling like she was rushed. Though she had a home to run and children to home-school, she held a schedule loosely. She well understood the concept that if you want to love people, you must love the Lord who made them.

4) Dress nicely, yet casually, every day. If I always have clothing on that is nice, without being expensive or showy, I am at ease when I hear a knock on the door. Instead of the traditional "jean jumper uniform" of a home-school mom, my aunt always looked nice. Now, that didn't mean that she spent a lot on her clothes, because, after all, she still had a household to run; her clothing had to be durable. So, I'm learning the art of dressing both practically and nicely.

5) Treat everyone like family. I remember one particular event, while I was living at my aunts, which they were attending, but to which I didn't receive an official invitation. (Since I wasn't THAT closely related, I really wasn't offended.) About an hour before the start, my aunt asked: "Aren't you leaving for...?" I replied that I hadn't received an invitation and was unsure. Her response "Of course you're invited. You're family." Though I am related, I wasn't the only one who was claimed as family. My aunt had an open heart, as well as open doors. Did it cost? Yes. There were people who back-stabbed, as people always will; but there are so many who were blessings and blessed by this attitude.

These are just a few of the things that I have thought about as I've thought on the time spent with my hospitable aunt; perhaps you can learn with me.

1 comment:

Joyful said...

I read this article with interest since I aspire to being hospitable and I can do so much more.