Monday, May 13, 2019

Too far?

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end
Jeremiah 29:11

Picking up my son from pre-school garden, I informed him that we needed to walk to the drugstore.

"I don't want to go. How far is it? Can I walk home by myself instead? It's too far!"
The whining and excuses seemed to just roll off his tongue as if practiced. As we walked, I was surprised with myself to find myself reasoning with him. He had to obey, but sometimes it helps if he knows the reason why we have to go and so forth.
"Son, we have to go. We need some things for the baby."
He replied, "Let's go to [the grocery store]... that's better." 
To which I cut in, "-But, we need some things from the drugstore. We also need milk, so we could go to [the grocery store] too."

The irony? The grocery store is a longer walk than the local drugstore.

This little conversation with my son got me thinking. Sometimes I have a similar conversation with my Heavenly Father: "Lord, I don't want to do that. I'm scared. It's too much to ask. What if I make a mistake/something goes wrong? -How far do you want me to walk????" Of course, I too have to obey, yet I am still somewhat timid- even knowing His promises.




Christ asks us to follow Him. It's far. It's hard. It's lonely. Many times, it seems too much to ask, and we are not told all the answers. Like my four year old, we demand the plan laid out before us like a map to follow. And then, so many times, we give up. We decide the price is too high. Whether it's finances, family, or pride, we deduct that something else is worth more than God's way. "It's too far. It costs too much. How about I do [this] instead." The irony? Our way is infinitely more difficult, further, and costly.

This is God we're talking about! -Not the whims of mere man. When God says, "Follow- there's an expected end" He means it!

Thankfully, each time I fail to make the right choice, God is standing by with forgiveness and grace. He doesn't leave me to pick up the pieces. He guides, teaches and directs me to follow Him yet again.

Some day when we reach heaven's gates, we, his disciples, will see just why it was worth it to follow Christ. And, on occasion we are given a glimpse of the rewards of our devotion.

I was delighted to find that my son understood tangibly that obedience is sweeter- the cashier gave him some candy. He even helped me carry the things home, having found the joy in obedience. May he always remember that there IS cost on earth to doing right, but there IS also sweet eternal reward.

Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long. For surely there is an end; and thine expectation shall not be cut off. Hear thou, my son, and be wise, and guide thine heart in the way. 
Proverbs 23:17-19

No comments: