Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Singing and Making Melody in Your Heart

The Lord has often used music to encourage my heart. The words of Scripture based hymns have often stayed in my mind and I find myself singing them in my mind. Many times the Lord uses these hymns to remind me of something I have been studying or a lesson that He wants me to remember.

Before we came to Japan for the first time, I spent some time meditating on truths about God. I knew that I needed to know my God if I was going to serve Him in this strange, new land. That very first Sunday that we were in Japan I was feeling overwhelmed with all the newness surrounding me and I was having a hard time controlling my thinking. Why would God choose to use someone like me? That Sunday one of the hymns that was sung was I Know Not Why God’s Wondrous Grace. It ministered to my heart that Sunday. There were so many questions that I didn’t have answers to, but one thing I knew…the One in Whom I believe!!

I know not why God's wondrous grace
to me he has made known,
nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
redeemed me for his own.


But "I know whom I have believed,
and am persuaded that he is able
to keep that which I've committed
unto him against that day.”

We recently had another first Sunday in Japan since we have just returned from our furlough. It shouldn’t have surprised me when I Know Not Why God’s Wondrous Grace was announced as the hymn we were to sing. The Lord used it once again to minister to my heart.

I know not what of good or ill
may be reserved for me,
of weary ways or golden days,
before his face I see.

But "I know whom I have believed,
and am persuaded that he is able
to keep that which I've committed
unto him against that day.”


I know not when my Lord may come,
at night or noonday fair,
nor if I'll walk the vale with him,
or meet him in the air.


But "I know whom I have believed,
and am persuaded that he is able
to keep that which I've committed
unto him against that day.”

~D. W. Whittle

During our furlough, I spoke often of the fact that meditating on God’s faithfulness was what helped me to remain faithful to what He has called us to do. It’s not always easy, but I want to remain faithful as my God is faithful. That prayer was on my mind when another hymn was announced during that first Sunday back.

May the Lord Find Us Faithful


God has not given us the spirit of fear,
But has given us the strength to obey.
With power and sound mind, with love, the unfailing kind, 
O be not ashamed of His way.

No man that seeketh after things of this life 
Is a soldier who passes the test.
Be faithful, be working, be running, be serving,
Be searching His Word for His best.

Living or dying, may honor be Thine,
From this wretched life, you loved and forgave.
A life that is on fire, be only our hearts desire. 
Be faithful from now to the grave.

Chorus:

May the Lord find us faithful.
May His word be our banner held high.
May the lord find us faithful 
Ev’ryday, though we live, though we die.

~Mac Lynch

Has the Lord used music to minister to your heart during difficult, unsettling times? Please share in the comments below in order to encourage one another.

1 comment:

Jackie Cook said...

Kim, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. At times, when I wake up during the night, a song will come to mind, to comfort me, encourage me, help me to settle down and go back to sleep. Praise the Lord that He uses the power of music and His Word to bring us comfort and joy. Love your blog. Please continue to share with us.
Jackie Cook
Member of FBC in Taylors, SC