Thursday, September 19, 2019

Think on These Things

My thought-life is one of my own worst enemies. The "what if's?" and "why's?" roll around in my mind until I am a mess. Thankfully, Philippians 4:8 gives me an outline of how to fill my mind with better things:

Philippians  4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

This is how I understand these words but is only a fraction of their meaning, really. Renaming them helps me to understand them better.

True: transparent, the real thing.
Honest: without deceit or pretense.
Just: fair, equal.
Pure: clean, untarnished.
Lovely: beautiful, kind.
Good report: tried and true, a good reputation.

 If I can replace my negative thoughts with something from the guideline given in Philippians, my whole outlook changes. For example, when I feel stressed, I immediately try to think of something lovely. What comes to mind? My daughter and a rose that she gave me. Suddenly, I am thinking of my beautiful daughter and her beautiful act of giving me a beautiful rose. It is a lovely thought.

Sometimes we simply need to change our mind to think on these true, honest, just, pure, lovely, and well-reported things.

Patrick and Vicki Weimer, since 1999



1 comment:

Joyful said...

I love this scripture and it helps me a lot too.