Thursday, September 19, 2019

Under-confident

Do you have a friend who is always unsure of themselves? Saying things like:

"I'm just not good enough. I think God wants me to do this, but I don't think I can. I'm just not ___________ enough."

And then what is your response? If you're anything like me, you may roll your eyes internally, and then jump into listing everything you like about that person, all their strengths, and all the reasons why they should not only do it, but why it will be a raging success. It's human nature to want to comfort the other person.

There's nothing wrong with this, is there? It isn't difficult, and it makes you both feel better. For the moment anyway.

But this isn't how God handled it when Moses was convinced he wouldn't be able to fulfill his calling. Look at Exodus 3:11-12:

"(11) And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?

(12) And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain."

Moses has absolutely no confidence he will be able to do this thing God has called him to do. I mean, he tried once before and that didn't end well. (He killed a guy.) And even though that failure was 40 years prior, Moses can't forget it.

But look at what God says. He doesn't spend the next half hour telling Moses how strong, smart, handsome, or good he is. He doesn't mention anything about Moses at all. He simply says "I'm going to be with you this time."

He reminds Moses that success doesn't depend on himself at all, but rather on the presence and timing of God. And God is telling him it will be a success! He will accomplish what he is being called to do!

What is God calling you to do that you've resisted because you had no confidence? Take confidence in the Lord, and His power. By yourself you will fail. But we have a mighty God who promises to walk with us and equip us for our calling.

1 Thessalonians 5:24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

John 15:4-5 (4) Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

(5) I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

No comments: