Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Dread Disease


I have read many books that have been a blessing to me in my journey as a missionary wife.  When we were on deputation for Japan, I read a few books by Isobel Kuhn.  I think that perhaps she is my favorite missionary author.  I gleaned so much from her.  During this time of coronavirus and lockdowns, it is natural to have a dread of what might happen should we get the virus.  Maybe some are even thinking what it will be like when we meet the Lord.  That reminded me of this short passage from In the Arena

“For the Christian, death is not the dissolution of life but the consummation. . .

Christians often say that the most wonderful thing of all will be to see our Lord face to face.  I have pondered that much and feel it is surely worded inadequately.  To see the Lord is but a lesser thing to one who has had a close spirit-with-Spirit communion with Him all along.  What matter the colour of His eyes or the shape of His face?  That is not what makes Him precious.  Nothing is so deeply intimate as spirit knit with Spirit, and that we can and should enjoy right now while here on earth.  I think what is meant is to be with the Lord with the root of sin gone.  To fellowship with Him without the lazy flesh dragging us back, or unwanted thoughts of pride and self constantly staining us.  To be finally rid of corruption, to worship and enjoy Him with heart purged into His own purity, that will be an advance over anything that is possible on earth.

And so the platform of a dread disease becomes but a springboard for heaven.  We are conformed unto His death.  In the pain which is inevitably connected with the descent into the valley of shadows there will be a fellowship, even if not perceived by weakened nature.  The power of His resurrection will become known as never before.  And the great end, that I may know Him, will be granted.” 


~ pp. 191-192, In the Arena by Isobel Kuhn

2 comments:

GrammaGrits said...

As a teenager, I think I read every book I could get my hands on by Isobel Kuhn. What a blessing and conviction. I bought some a few months ago and need to re-read them. Thanks for your post today! Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Than you so much for this quote. What an encouragement.

Isobel Kuhn has been a favorite author of mine for years, and I always recommend her books. My Mom introduced me to them when I was a teen.

JoyH