Thursday, May 21, 2020

You Don't Know What You've Got 'til It's Gone


Have you ever heard the saying “You don’t know what you’ve got ’til it’s gone.”?

Bonus points if you also sang “…they paved paradise and put up a parking lot" after you read that.

So, my husband makes our bed every morning.

And not because it’s a chore I have given him (our marriage doesn’t work like that- I’m not his mom, afterall). Honestly, he just has good habits. He is a blessing! He also takes out the garbage and recycling every week, and he puts away clean dishes sometimes. And he doesn’t throw his clothes on the floor, ever. (Yes, we are happily married. Sorry ladies.)

Jimmy, you’re good people.

Back to the topic at hand.

It is a gift to me that he makes the bed. But most mornings I think nothing of it. It’s just something he does. I only seem to notice it on the rare occasions when he doesn’t make the bed.

And then I’m annoyed.


I won’t say never, but I don’t regularly make a point of thanking him for making the bed all those days/weeks/months/years, even though I really am thankful he does it. But I sure do complain in my head on the few days when he doesn’t do it. Because then I have to do it.

Because who leaves their bed unmade, amiright? (Not judging if you do. But seriously, go make your bed.)

But that thought made me consider: what else am I taking for granted? Do I do the same thing with God? Do I just assume His blessings are going to continue? Have I ever even stopped to count all the ways He has blessed my life? Do I make it a habit of regularly thanking God for ANYTHING? And I mean really THANKING Him with my words- not just feeling grateful in my heart.

Because I can feel grateful toward my husband for making the bed, but that doesn’t mean He knows it. He likes to feel appreciated. It is good for me to say it to him. It is a practice in humility, and it trains my heart and mind to look at the blessings in my life.

Perhaps you’ve also heard the phrase “What if you woke up tomorrow with only what you thanked God for today?”

Would you have anything at all?

(Who are these people that come up with these piercing statements?!?)

We become a people of entitlement when we are unthankful. We expect things to continue a certain prosperous way because “that’s just the way things are”. But it really isn’t. We aren’t even promised tomorrow. There is no guarantee the blessing you have today will be there tomorrow. And it’s okay. It really is. God certainly knows what He is doing. It always for our good and His glory. It’s not JUST for our good, or to make our lives easier, or better. Everything always comes back to His glory. 

But how often do we mention the glory of God to others? When we aren't mindful that everything He gives us if a gift, we can easily become complainers when something we enjoy stops, or is gone. When we're only left with the basics, and we don't count those as blessings, because they're 'guaranteed'. (But they aren't.)

I encourage you today to make a list of all the things you are thankful for, and tell God about it. And if they include specific people, tell them too. You just might brighten someone’s day who really needs a boost. The scripture is full of encouragement for us to be thankful.

Psalm 100
(1) A Psalm of praise. Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.
(2) Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
(3) Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
(4) Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
(5) For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

Psalm 107 says four times about various scenarios “Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and his wonderful works to the children of men!”

See, it isn’t even about what God has DONE, so much as it is about who He IS. First we need to be thankful for His character, and then thank Him for the things He has done.

When was the last time you thanked God for who He has been in your life? Do a quick search of the word ‘praise’ or ‘thanksgiving’ or ‘worship’ and see if that might help guide your thoughts in what to say to God in thanksgiving for who He is. I’m sure it won’t take long before you are just pouring out praise to our awesome God!! He is certainly worthy.

Psalm 28:7-8
(7) The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
(8) The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed.

Psalm 96
(1) O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth.
(2) Sing unto the LORD, bless his name; shew forth his salvation from day to day.
(3) Declare his glory among the heathen, his wonders among all people.
(4) For the LORD is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.
(5) For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
(6) Honour and majesty are before him: strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.
(7) Give unto the LORD, O ye kindreds of the people, give unto the LORD glory and strength.
(8) Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come into his courts.
(9) O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth.
(10) Say among the heathen that the LORD reigneth: the world also shall be established that it shall not be moved: he shall judge the people righteously.
(11) Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad; let the sea roar, and the fulness thereof.
(12) Let the field be joyful, and all that is therein: then shall all the trees of the wood rejoice
(13) Before the LORD: for he cometh, for he cometh to judge the earth: he shall judge the world with righteousness, and the people with his truth.

Psalm 115:1 Not unto us, O LORD, not unto us, but unto thy name give glory, for thy mercy, and for thy truth's sake.

2 comments:

Joyful said...

Great post. It is so important not to take things any of our blessings for granted. God bless.

Linda Gangemella said...

Thank you for reminding us of the little things in life that are really big things..