Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Lunch Time: Egg & Avocado Sandwiches and Pita Chips


I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for good lunch ideas.
And today, I have two ideas for you!

Last summer, I got a recipe idea that Jolene shared while living in Israel, and it has become a family favorite!

Egg & Avocado Sandwiches 

The basics:
bread
avocado (sliced or mashed)
boiled eggs
fresh tomatoes
salt

The variations:
mayonnaise
sliced cheese
sliced cucumbers
fresh-cracked black pepper

Put it together any way you like it and enjoy!

My second idea comes from my fav food blogger, Rebecca ~ homemade pita chips!
I've tried making these on my own several different ways {including frying them!}, but I've never found one we all really liked until I stumbled on this one! Since chips of any kind are a rarity here {besides plantain chips}, we love these crunchy guys!

Pita Chips

Cut pita bread {ours comes from the Lebanese bakery} into bite-size pieces.
Place in single layer on baking sheet.
Brush with olive oil and sprinkle mix of 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder over bread.
Bake at 250 degrees, checking {and flipping if necessary} chips about every 15-20 minutes until desired crispness, approximately 45-60 minutes.
Let cool and store in ziploc bag for up 5 days {if they last that long!}

Both of these ideas leave lots of room for creativity!
Give them a try and see if you find a new favorite!

Just out of curiosity, what is you favorite out-of-the-ordinary lunch food?

2 comments:

Jolene said...

Aw, yay! I'm so glad to see that someone else is enjoying those yummy Mediterranean egg/avocado sandwiches too. We *LOVE* them in our home!

In fact, you've really got me to craving some right now.... :-)

Unknown said...

We tried the pita chips tonight. They were a big hit! They were much better baked than fried! Thank you!