Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Breakfast Time: Egg Cups with Your Choice of Additions


Well, September 1st hit, and my internal click switched to Fall!
With Fall comes back-to-school time....
And with back-to-school time comes the need for quick, tasty, filling breakfasts.
I have a growing family, and making sure they aren't begging for snacks at 10 o'clock every morning is important!
I have about 6 or 7 different recipes I use regularly, but I've just found a new one that we all love: egg cups!
I first saw variations of this recipe on Pinterest ~ which can sometimes be helpful in the recipe department and sometimes not so much ~ but I ignored it because I didn't think I could make it work for us here.
We've just recently found a good source of bacon, but it is super-thick cut and takes a long time to cook. A few weeks ago, though, my hubby had to go to the capital to do paperwork and he brought back a treat ~ very thinly-sliced Serrano ham!
That made me start thinking about the recipe again, and I decided to give it a go.
So glad I did ~ we all loved these!

The recipe is fairly loose and can be done lots of different ways....that's the beauty of it!

Egg Cups

raw eggs
fat for greasing  muffin tin

add-ins:
one piece of thinly-sliced meat for each cup you plan to do
cheese, your choice
black pepper
fresh herbs, diced
any topping you think would taste nice with what you've put together!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Grease muffin tin with fat of choice.
If using meat, line cups with meat, trying to cover as much of cup as possible.
Cook for 5 minutes.
Remove from oven, sprinkle in cheese (if using), and crack one egg into each cup.
Add pepper or herbs of choice and bake for 10-15 minutes depending on desired doneness.
Garnish with any fresh toppings you wish, such as salsa or sour cream.

Enjoy!

* One caveat ~ these taste best hot and fresh so you wouldn't want to make a lot extra, but.......
we had one left over the other day and I ate it this morning. It was still quite tasty!

Image source

1 comment:

Charity said...

Made these this morning... Yum! Cheese and onions only. That's all I had! But so quick and easy! Thanks!