Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Bacon Potato Salad


Everyone has a potato salad recipe passed down from their mother or their grandmother,
or their second cousin twice-removed, but somehow this phenomenon skipped me.
So, I made my own, though I've tweaked it over the years for my husband who hates
really any kind of "normal" potato salad.
And we do have one simple rule when creating in the kitchen--Everything is better with bacon!
Cook until crispy, drain, crumble, and set aside.
 
 In Brazil, the potatoes come pre-washed.  In fact, when I cook in the States again, I'm pretty sure that I will hesitate to eat those gritty, brown potatoes that I once knew as normal.  But I digress.  If you are comfortable with the level of cleanliness in your potatoes, please feel free to cook them with the skins on, or just peel them and be done with it.  Your choice.  Generally, I plan on a medium-sized potato per person. Throw the cubed potatoes in some salted water and boil until you can slide a fork into them easily.  Drain
 
For a recipe of 6 potatoes, 5-6 stalks of green onion will do.  I use the greens and the whites.  Chop and set aside.

This is where I stopped taking pictures of prep work, so you'll have to use your imagination.  Hold back some of your crumbled bacon and green onions for the top, but throw everything else in the bowl.  If you have access to sour cream, I like to use half sour cream, half real mayonnaise.  For 6 potatoes, you will only need about 2-3 tbsp. each, but you can add more or less depending on your families' texture preferences.  Because we don't have sour cream here, I use all mayo, but splash in a tablespoon of plain vinegar. 
 I prefer the taste of dill, but don't always have access, so you can add or leave it out.  Add salt, and refrigerate until serving.  This recipe keeps well, so make it the day before if needed.  Enjoy!
 
Bacon Potato Salad
 
serves 6
 
6 medium sized potatoes, washed, cubed
5-6 stalks of green onion, diced
1/2 pound of bacon, fried, drained and crumbled
2 Tbsp. Sour Cream
2 Tbsp. Mayonnaise (or omit Sour Cream, double mayo, and add 1 Tbsp. vinegar)
1 tsp. dill
Salt to taste
 
Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, and not quite to mashed potato stage.  Drain, and set aside.  Fry bacon, drain, and crumble.  Chop green onions, and set aside a small amount for garnish along with a small amount of the crumbled bacon.  Combine all remaining ingredients, adjusting the mayo/sour cream mixture to attain desired creaminess .  Can be served right away or up to a day ahead. 
 
 

No comments: