Tuesday, April 3, 2018

This Is Me

My name is Amber Wells.  My dad grew up here as a kid, married my mom in the States, had us 4 kids, and brought us all to Papua New Guinea in 2008. I am the first grade teacher for our Christian school on our mission station. This year I have 44 students! My classroom gets a little crazy at times! 

I’m an avid mud lover. We have so many amazing 4WD roads here, I just love traveling on them! I have a Suzuki lj 81 that, with some help, was able to be fixed up. My brothers and I take it out to our bush churches for church meetings and things like that. 

Food is my passion! I love it! I love cooking it! I love eating it! I love looking at it! (Can you see I’m infatuated with it?) Food is important to keeping a family on the field happy. I wish more mothers and daughters realized this. My grandpa (who was a 23 year Missionary in Papua New Guinea) always said it is good to have anchors back to your own culture. My grandma always tried to make meal time special. She would make impossible dishes out in the bush with just bush food. For example, she made pizza for my dad’s 16th birthday (first birthday on the mission field). The only thing that resembled pizza was the crust. She used her imagination and turned bush foods into something special. 
There are so many things that make missionaries homesick. Like food. To combat that my family has always strived to make food special. Over the last ten years, my mom and I have learned together how to make almost anything we want with the strangest and most limited ingredients.  

 Part of my vision is to show others what they can make with what they have. Hopefully it can help some families be more content and less homesick when it comes to food. 

3 comments:

Jessi said...

I am enjoying all these posts introducing missionaries.

Hi, Amber. I grew up in Papua New Guinea too. I knew your dad as a kid and your grandparents too. I really enjoyed your post. Yes, it was fun growing up there!

Jessica (Harrelson) Cormier

Lou Ann Keiser said...

You ARE going to be sharing some recipes, I hope! You have me salivating! :) God bless you. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Vicki Weimer said...

What an encouragement to see an MK serving the Lord on the field! Thank you for you post.