Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Distracted

I was on an early morning walk.  I was tired.  My brain was mush.  I was thinking through some problems that I was dealing with while trying to listen to an audible book about ministry.  My head was down and I was watching my feet as one went in front of the other and my fitbit counted the steps.

As I was walking, I noticed some goopy stuff on on the sidewalk.  This was notable because in Japan people keep the sidewalk and street in front of their house clean.  I kept walking, but then for some reason, I stopped and turned to see where the goop was coming from.  I expected to see trash spilled in front of the house.  This is a common occurrence here thanks to black crows.  You can imagine my shock when I saw this.


I walked within inches of the yellow tape.  I should have noticed the house.  I should have smelled the charred car.  I was stunned.  How could I have not noticed this?

After I snapped the photo on my phone, I continued my walk.  The audio book was turned off as I contemplated what had just happened.  I couldn't help but wonder how many opportunities I may have missed to minister to people in need because of my distracted thinking, my weary body, my mushy brain and thinking of my own problems with my head down.

I confessed my lack of dependence on the Lord and asked Him to help me turn my focus from myself to those around me in need.  I pray that I never miss a ministry opportunity as I missed this house on that early morning walk.

"But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head." 

~Psalm 3:3

No comments: