Monday, October 8, 2018

Secure or Standardized?

"For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us." 2 Timothy 1:12-14

Image result for Christian flagAs an independent Baptist kid, I grew up with all the stereotypical rules and standards. King James version, skirts and culottes (those were not in style then!), ultra conservative music and so forth. Growing up, I was taught this was important in following Christ; that the Bible actually taught these things. I tried to be the good kid, and many times I did believe everything I was taught, unquestionably.

Yet, at the same time, I was very confused. I was abused throughout my childhood by a preacher. I simply could not make sense of the fact that being a good Baptist kid and following all the rules had not protected me. Was the abuse also something that came with being Baptist? Following Christ?

No, No, No! God has taught me since that time, and brought me through a wonderful journey of discovering Christ. 

Then, recently, a girl whom I was discipling asked me a similar question. "If works don't save you, how come Baptist churches require [XYZ]?" It suddenly struck me: we've lost sight of the point of being Baptist. As a counselor, I've heard many talk about how they thought doing these standards was what being Baptist was all about, that they were saved by doing.  Now, I know most would readily deny that a certain standard is "required" in the church, yet, that is how we behave. 

A girl must conform to the modesty standard of .... or she is considered worldly and to be avoided. Music is a hot spot. You're either in the group that decides what music is "in" for your church, in the group that goes along with it, or in the "other" group looked down on by the rest. I hate to even mention the Bible version issue, knowing how strongly some feel on the issue.

Standards are not bad; but, my fellow Believers, we need to remember the point.

Are we eternally secure?

What a tragedy that people can know a group of Believers, and either feel rejected or burdened with unnecessary spiritual fetters simply because we've lost sight of what is truly important. Standards are merely a sign. In fact, the word "standard" is used in the Bible as a flag or banner. It is set up to show who and whose the people were. THIS is the point of a standard. It is to set us apart. To show both who we are, and whose we are. 

We are first, and foremost, set apart as Christ's. (Ephesians 1) We belong to Him because we accepted His gift of free salvation. None of us are perfect or deserving, yet Christ died for each of us and loves us unconditionally. Having taken the step of belief in Christ for eternity, we strive to live according to His Word, the Bible, for our life on earth. 

Standards could be said to be like a wedding ring. Wedding rings/tokens are different in every culture, but they are always a sign that the wearer is spoken for, married. Now, I can take my wedding ring off, and I am still married; it doesn't change my status. However, without that ring, others are not aware of my status. In this culture (Georgia, Europe), a plain gold band is worn on the ring finger of the right hand to signify marriage. So, I had to exchange my lovely diamond studded ring on my left hand for a plain one on my right. I wanted to show the Georgians that I was married in the way that they do it in their culture.

So are standards; they may change depending on the culture, but they are there to signify our heavenly status. Standards CANNOT change a person; that's what Christ does through salvation and sanctification. Most importantly, standards do not save; that is the work of Christ in the heart of a Believer. Standards may be based on Scripture, but many times the Bible doesn't explicitly say details; this is left to the individual priesthood of the Believer and is not cause for judgement by other Believers. (2 Corinthians 10:12)

Please, do not throw out your standards! Standards are good! That is how we are to show the world that we have something different- Christ. We simply need to be reminded that standards are not eternal security. 

Are you secure in Christ, or merely relying on standards? Make sure today.

"Go through, go through the gates; prepare ye the way of the people; cast up, cast up the highway; gather out the stones; lift up a standard for the people. Behold, the Lord hath proclaimed unto the end of the world, Say ye to the daughter of Zion, Behold, thy salvation cometh; behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him. And they shall call them, The holy people, The redeemed of the Lord: and thou shalt be called, Sought out, A city not forsaken." Isaiah 62:10-12

2 comments:

Joyful said...

A thought provoking and good post.

Lou Ann Keiser said...

Yes. Carefully reading this, I agree. You are so right. Thank you!