Monday, January 21, 2019

Homeschool Helps

I'm not one of the veteran home school moms who can give you the best advice on how to make home school work, but I am a newbie missionary and home school mom who has figured out what works for us, at this time, in this place.  So, this month, I'd love to share a few things we've done to make life and ministry a little easier. 

You may be wondering, "Why January?  We're already halfway through the school year, for many of us." Because I love "boosts"in the middle of the year.  Some of us may already be finished and gearing up for next school year...that would not be me... Others of us may be wearily beginning the next long haul until summer.  I hope to just encourage you to keep on keeping on.  Some days the days are very, very long and frustrating; but those truly are becoming farther and fewer between.  Here are some things that have made homeschooling a little more enjoyable for all of us. 

Organization
I always love seeing the home school rooms/spaces at the beginning of the school year.  Some of us are truly blessed with large school rooms specifically dedicated to home school; some of us have a box under our bed or in our camper; and others of us are somewhere in between.  Whatever space is available, organization is a key in enjoying the home school adventure (and, believe me, it's an adventure!)

We have one very large, open room that is our living room, dining room, kitchen, and home school area.  I love my little area to study, plan, and organize.  It's a great space to display the kids' schoolwork (thanks to my handyman husband) and space for the kids to do any computer work they may have for the day.  Their favorite "computer work" is art class: they use youtube videos for art tutorials to draw different things.  They could spend all afternoon doing this if I'd let them.  This has been a great spot for so many different tasks.



I have two children I home school: one in sixth grade and the other in 4K.  Each child has a box with their school stuff in it for the week.  This has been a life saver when traveling.  We've been in several different states and two countries trying to home school since beginning in August.  I can pick up the box and go. Just this past week, we traveled to a church almost two hours away.  It's great that I can pick up their box and have everything we need to do school wherever we're serving that day.



I have a son who very much likes a to-do list--he may be a tad like his mother ;-)
So, this has also been a life-saver for me.  My first year homeschooling him, I had notebooks for different subjects.  This more simple, condensed way of organizing our week has proven to be more effective for us.  He has an accordion folder with a tab for each day of the week and one for weekly worksheets.  He gets out the work for that day and checks it off as it's completed.  Everything is one place and his need to check off the list has been met.
`


Communication
 My son has to know the plans for today...yesterday.  Every single morning, he'd wake up and ask me what we were doing.  So, a few months ago, I decided to create a weekly calendar and hang it on the fridge.  Some days, life takes over and can't control things not on the calendar, but it has helped with his need to know what's supposed to happen.  It's been great for both of us. There's a pencil handy, so if there's been a change in plans, it can be easily adjusted. This also reminds both of us planners in the family: Proverbs 16:9, Ä man's heart deviseth his way; but the Lord directeth his steps." We can plan as much as possible, but the Lord is the One in control.  Those moments my son and I may think are interruptions are actually divine appointments.  But, I do much better when I have a heads up as much as possible, so my husband has been great about adding new events/responsibilities to the calendar as a way to keep me informed too.


Flexibility
This one is honestly a very difficult one for me.  I'm a rigid planner.  I have a plan for the day and I expect that plan to be carried out.  When it's not, I can get a little frustrated...okay, maybe a lot frustrated.  But, I'm learning.  God is teaching me that flexibility is the key to not only surviving, but thriving, in homeschooling and on the mission field.  So, I've tried to be more low-key and allow "school" to happen anywhere.  So, here a few of the ways the kids do their work:


 One morning in January was supposed to be the first day back to school after break.  I had so many lofty ideas and plans for that day.  But, when the kids ate breakfast and saw what a beautiful day it was, outside they ran.  Brother and sister played together for a solid three hours outside: riding bikes, swinging, playing chase, etc.  This sight was not to be interrupted: (1) because they were actually playing..nicely...together.  and (2) because they needed to get out all of that energy those two fireballs have in them.  So, the morning was cancelled and "school" took place after lunch.

Involvement
When I first decided on a new curriculum for us this year, I was very nervous about how much parental involvement was expected.  Not that I don't want to spend time with my kids...but, I'm good with some of their own independent work too!  I've tweaked the curriculum to work for us so that my son does have more independent work so I can focus at times on my preschooler, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the time I've been able to spend learning with both of them.  And Pinterest has been another great tool to use to supplement arts/crafts and extra learning for my little one. 
When learning about nature and plants, we went outside to gather sticks and leaves to create our garden.

Ethan and I enjoyed learning about crystallization by watching the crystals form over time.
I hope these few insights into what has worked for us has helped to encourage you: wife, mom, teacher, missionary.  I've heard the saying many times and it has really stuck with me: "The days are long, but the years are short." Some days are very long, but it's truly been a joy to walk these days with these two precious treasures God has given me to nurture, love, and grow in Him.  If you have any ideas, please feel free to comment and let me know what has worked for your family!  God bless you as you walk this path and invest in your children in this way.

No comments: