Monday, February 4, 2019

Kids Say the Funniest Things

Sometimes people think that Christians never laugh or have a good time. On the contrary, we love to laugh and have a good time. In fact, some of the funniest, craziest things my kids have said, actually revolve around the ministry and things that can only be understood by other Christians.

Since it is Monday, and we all know that Mondays can feel weighty after a day of ministry. I thought that I would share a few funny moments in our family's history that have to do with things that may not be appreciated fully by someone outside of the faith. Though all of the stories happened in our family, I will keep the actual child's name anonymous. I hope you enjoy them.

One time, while having a conversation surrounding Bible versions with some other adults, my 6 year old daughter heard NIV and said, "Mom, I had one of those in my arm." After receiving a questioning look from me, she reminded me that during her recent surgery she had a NIV(an IV) in her arm. Yep, well, I can see how she got that one confused.

Then, we always tried to teach Bible principles during the many teachable moments in life. One principle that always came up was the Golden Rule. When the children were young, I always explained it in the following way: do not do anything to someone else that you would not want them to do to you. So on one occasion, when my child was caught hitting someone else, I told her that was not acceptable and that she was in trouble. She told me, "Well, Mom, you always said that whatever someone does to you, you should do it to them." I guess I learned from that experience to explain things a little clearer and in a more kid-friendly fashion.

When the next story happened, I had been telling my daughter Bible stories late at night as she lay in her bed. Since she was always in Sunday school and heard all the popular Bible stories, I would try to tell her something that she had not heard before. On one of the evenings, I told her about the conversion of Saul and how he had the new name of Paul. I explained that he was not the same as King Saul of the Old Testament, and she was fascinated by the fact that his name changed from Saul to Paul. A few nights later, I was telling her the story of Namaan. In an effort to make the story more exciting, I said, "He went down one time and came up, and he still had leoprosy. He went down a second time, and he came up and still had it." I continued that all the way through; and on the last time, she stopped me and said, "I know, I know, now he was John the Baptist." You have to love how a child's mind works.

Although I have a few more stories, I will close with this last one and save the others for a later post.
On one occasion, I told my daughter that we were going to make an anniversary card for a close pastor friend and his wife. Often we bought cards with verses, and she decided that she would like to put a verse on their card. When I asked her what verse she wanted to put on the card, she replied with her recently memorized, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." I told her that we should probably think of another verse, as this is an anniversary card and that might send the wrong message. It was and still is good for a laugh though.

If you have any stories about the funny things your kids have said or done that only other Christians would understand, please feel free to share in the comments. I love a good laugh, and kids say the funniest things.

No comments: