Thursday, October 3, 2019

Learning From the Past

When I was in college, I was pretty confident in myself. I had plans for my future, knew what I wanted, and wasn't really open to suggestions or advice. This did not always work out well for me.

One winter I was late going to my freshman studies class, and a friend advised me not to cut through the grass because it was a mud slick underneath. I thanked her and rushed on, fully intending to cut through the grass anyway.

As I started down the snowy hill, I realized too late how right my friend had been. It was pure mud from the recent thaw. My feet slipped out from under me and down I went.

Not only did I have to sit through class covered in mud all up my back and through my hair, I also had to go to the clinic afterward because of a headache. Turns out I gave myself whiplash and a concussion! I missed classes and inconvenienced my roommate- she became my guardian in the night to wake me and check my eyes, etc.

This morning I went for a walk. It has been rainy the last few days here in Ohio, and I walked a different side of the street this morning. There is a house that's new construction, and the yard is basically a mud pit. This has spread over the sidewalk.

As I approached the sidewalk there, I thought about my experience in college, and that I should probably walk around the mud. But I came upon it so quickly that I didn't have a lot of time to change my course. So I plowed on ahead.

And I slipped sideways. And screamed.

But thank the Lord I didn't fall! However, I did wrench my back. And the neighbor on the other side of the trees was laughing at me when I finally got myself together to keep walking. I sheepishly said "I slipped" as I continued on my way.

You'd think I'd learn from my past. That when faced with a similar situation that I would turn and go another way when I know last time it resulted in disaster. But I am stubborn sometimes, and too confident in myself. And it never ends well.

Lord help me learn from my mistakes, and listen to Godly counsel so I don't end up covered in mud and hurt.

Proverbs 14:16 "A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident."

Proverbs 1:7 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

Proverbs 14:26 "In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge.”

No comments: