Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Pumpkin Butter (or squash)

Pumpkin Butter (or squash)
I LOVE pumpkin butter! The smooth, sweet, spiciness just screams fall! I decided today as I whipped up a batch of this golden deliciousness that I need to make this whenever I have pumpkin/squash around the house! When I did some research online, I noticed that a lot of recipes called for apple juice….not an option for us. Apple juice is crazy expensive, and I didn’t feel like buying a whole liter of juice just for a few cups of pumpkin butter. After doing some digging and research, I came up with this lovely treat. I couldn’t stop eating it by the spoonful!  My favorite way to have pumpkin butter is on pancakes or dinner rolls, but it’s also amazing on ice cream, waffles, biscuits, tarts, homemade sourdough bread, really anything would work! I feel like breads are just the vehicle for this amazing condiment! (Personally I feel like it should be a staple!) 



I didn’t have canned pumpkin, but if you do, you can use that. I just peeled and steamed the pumpkin I have and use that. Before I combined all of my ingredients, I just used a potato masher and mashed the pumpkin until it was smooth.  It works fantastically! I’ve honestly never used canned pumpkin for anything… so I don’t know if it would make this the same… but try it if that’s what you have, and let me know how you like it! 
In a medium saucepan combine all of your ingredients, and stir until well combined. Cook on med-low heat until the pumpkin butter starts to caramelize (brown). I did a double batch, and it took about 5 minutes to caramelize. You can serve warm or cold. I like it warm better, but it depends on what you’re serving your pumpkin butter with. Put pumpkin butter in a jar, and store in the fridge. Ours never last longer than a week (there are also nine of us in the house right now…) so I don’t know how long this will keep. I’m sure longer than a week, maybe two? Once again, I’m not sure, so let me know if you find out. You can always freeze it in zip top bags, just keep in mind it will probably loose its smoothness, but still taste great! 
I’m also attaching the pumpkin pie spice recipe to this post. I posted it a couple of weeks ago. 

Enjoy! 
Amber Wells 
Papua New Guinea 
🇵🇬

No comments: