Wednesday, November 13, 2019

God's Faithfulness


Several years ago, my husband and I were at a discouraging point in our ministry.  As we were talking through some of the things we were dealing with, my husband made this statement.  “I just want to be faithful to what God has called me to do.”  I remember thinking, “OK.  We will be faithful and keep plugging along.”  But as the days turned into weeks which turned into months with very little change, I asked the Lord, “How do we keep remaining faithful?”

I turned to my What Do I Know About my God? study.  I realized that I could be faithful because God is faithful.  There were two aspects of God’s faithfulness that were particularly challenging to my heart at this time.  

1.  God is faithful.  He never forsakes us.  

Deuteronomy 31: 6, 8, “Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee… vs. 8-And the Lord, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.”  

This verse is on my favorites list.  I have claimed it over and over again.  God goes before us.  I often find myself crying out to God, “You said that you go before me in this situation.  Please show me way…”

Isaiah 49:15, “Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.”

Most mothers can’t forget about their precious babies.  Because of the sin-cursed world we live in, there are some who will forget.  BUT God will never, ever forget us!!!

2.  God is faithful.  He does what He says He will do.

Deuteronomy 7:9, “Know therefore that the Lord thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;”

Isaiah 46:9-10, “Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:”

Simply put, God keeps his promises.  Because He keeps His promises or commitments to me, I can keep my commitments to Him and to others.

Perhaps my most favorite verse about God’s faithfulness is 2 Timothy 2:13, “If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.”  It doesn’t matter how weak my faith is, God is still faithful.  After all, He cannot deny Himself!!!  That’s something to keep in your thoughts every.single.day.


May we remain faithful to the tasks God has given to us because of His amazing faithfulness to us!

*photo was taken at Asuke, Japan


1 comment:

Joyful said...

Wonderful verses of encouragement!