Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tasty Tuesday

submitted by Patty over at Mrs. John in Ghana
 
Good Morning, ladies, and welcome to Tasty Tuesdays!
I'm excited to share this recipe (actually two!) today! It is perfect for the quickly upcoming
holidays!
When I was growing up, my best friend's mom used to make these all the time. They are quite
possibly the BEST sugar cookie you will ever taste! I promise! Everyone who eats these asks for the
recipe. If that isn't proof that these are the best sugar cookies you'll ever put in your mouth, then I
don't know what is!
A few years ago, I begged Heather to get the recipe from her mom....and she did! And now, I share
it with you. Make them. Today. You'll be so glad you did!
 
 
Mrs. McNally's Sugar Cookies
1/2 cup butter (no substitutes!)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Cream butter and sugar together. Mix in egg, milk, and vanilla. Blend dry ingredients together
in separate bowl and then add to wet ingredients. Mix well. Refrigerate dough for at least one hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll on lightly floured surface, 1/4 in. thick. Cut into cute shapes :)
Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 4-6 min. If they start to brown, they've baked too long!
Enjoy as is, or........add the best icing to go with the best cookie!
Mrs. McNally's Sugar Cookie Icing
1 lb. confectioners'/icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup shortening
1/4 cup milk
Mix all the ingredients together. Beat until VERY smooth! Now frost those cookies!
(I usually pipe the icing on, but you could also just use a butter knife - it all tastes good!)
Both the cookies and the icing freeze very well. You could easily make some for now and
some for later....or you could just eat the whole batch in one sitting :)
As you can see, my kids love decorating them, too!

3 comments:

Chris and Carole said...

I'm excited about trying these! I've been looking for a good sugar cookie recipe :-)

Jolene said...

This is the recipe I use! It comes from the Wycliffe International Cookbook. The only variation is that your recipe uses a bit more baking powder. Don't know if that makes a big difference, but, you're right... they're GOOD!!! In fact, I even shared the recipe twice just this last week! The thing I mostly like about them is that they don't call for cream of tartar or almond extract... two things we can't get here that are sometimes found in sugar cookies. I don't mind making them that way when I have those things from the states, but I prefer to have something that I can share with our people, and when they ask for the recipe, I don't have to say, "Oh, I'm sorry... it has ingredients that only come from America!" So, double winner!

Chris and Carole said...

Just wanted to say we made these!!! So great! We took Christmas cookie plates to all of our neighbors and these were a big hit!