Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Dessert of the Month Club: Strawberry Shortcake


Today I'm sharing month two of our Dessert of the Month Club.

Growing up in Michigan, strawberry picking was one of our favorite summer activities. We loved going to the U-pick farms to get quarts and quarts of delicious strawberries. My mom would make jam, of course, but she'd also freeze lots of strawberries to be used later for strawberry shortcake.
I love strawberry shortcake!
Then, I married my husband. And he told me he didn't like strawberry shortcake.
What????? How is that possible?
I soon found out the problem, and there was a super easy solution!
In Michigan, most people eat strawberry shortcake with yellow sponge cake.
If you get lucky, you might get it with angel food cake, but usually it's sponge cake.
As my entire extended family hail from the south, I'd never heard of such a thing.
My hubby doesn't like yellow sponge cake.
Quick fix?
Make him the real deal strawberry shortcake {well, at least the one I grew up with!}.
Guess what?!?
He loved it!

So today I present to you my family's version of Strawberry Shortcake {for those lucky days when we find frozen strawberries here!}

Strawberry Shortcake

2 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 white sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter or shortening
3/4 c. milk

Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
Using a fork (or pastry cutter), mash the butter into the flour until it is the consistency of cornmeal.
Add the milk and stir until the dough makes a lump.
Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
DOUGH WILL BE SOFT!
Knead gently until it is a smooth ball (about 5-6 times is sufficient).
Pat dough down to about 2 inches high and cut by pressing a round cutter or glass straight down.
Sprinkle tops with sugar, if desired.
Bake on a greased baking sheet at 450 degrees about 10-12 minutes.
Makes 10-12 biscuit-type shortcakes.
 *Note - Unless you are using fresh, in-season berries, place berries in bowl and cover with
1/2-1 cup sugar (depending on amount of berries) and let sit for at least an hour.

Just out of curiosity.....what does strawberry shortcake look like where you come from?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love strawberries! This looks delicious!