Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Creamy Potato Soup

Fall is upon us here in Siberia, so, for those of you in the tropics, you are getting a "fall recipe" today from me. This recipe was given to me when we first arrive on the field by another missionary wife. I was raiding her recipes to find more homemade recipes to make on the field and found this awesome recipe for potato soup. When I made it, I was very happy with this recipe as it tasted just like potato soup from a restaurant I loved in the States.



Note: I always double this recipe


Ingredients:


4 cups peeled, cubed potatoes
1 cup celery (sliced) *I substitute with approx. 1/2 tsp. of dried celery and a dash or two of celery salt, just tasting to be sure the celery salt flavor is not too strong
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
2 cups water
2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1 cup whipping cream (I use 20%)
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Directions:

Combine potatoes, onion, celery, water, and salt in a large soup pot. Simmer covered about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Mash mix once or twice with a potato masher, leaving some potatoes whole. Stir in remaining ingredients, return to heat, stirring constantly until thoroughly heated. It is delicious with grated cheese on top and garlic bread on the side. Serves six.


2 comments:

Lou Ann Keiser said...

Yummm! I do something very similar, but with a little bit of chopped or sliced carrot added for color and a tiny bit of sweetness. I use one carrot only. LOVE this in the winter!

Ashley Justice said...

Yes, it is yummy for fall and winter! :)