Thursday, November 3, 2016

Furlough Fitness Part 7 (Kristine's Talents, Conquering Plateaus, Favorites)



Kristine's Talents


Eating Balut with Dr. Godfrey


My progress in October was definitely more spiritual than physical. We spent most of the month at my mother-in-law's home, and that included a steady diet of carb-heavy, fried, sodium-drenched Asian food and daily eating out with family. Even though I exercised six times a week, skipped rice and noodles, and even went to bed hungry a couple of nights, I still gained five pounds. It discouraged me to gain weight while working so hard to lose those pounds. The Lord directed my thoughts to the story of the talents in Matthew 25.  I have never considered that parable to be about weight loss, but here are some truths I gleaned from this important passage:


1) Everyone has different abilities (talents.)

2) I may work harder that someone else, but have less desirable results because my original talents are not the same (Ahem, my husband only gained two pounds without putting forth the same hard work.)


Kristine and her husband, Phil


3) Jesus still expects me to work hard and do my best even if I do not have the physical results I'd hoped for. The truth is, the change in my character over being obedient and taking proper care of my body is more important than whether or not I lose weight.

If I am obeying the Holy Spirit's guidance on my self control with eating and exercise, then I need to be content with the results. Proverbs 14:23 states "In all labour there is profit." It may not be the profit that I desire, but it is the profit that God is awarding to me. In the end, I may need to take the stronger character over the larger weight loss, trusting God will honor faithfulness and see my heart.


Keeping priorities in order, family and ministry over weight loss

On furlough, I have not always had my ideal food environment, but I have needed to accept that whatever is provided has come from God's hand. He only expects me to be faithful with self control and make the healthiest choices on my part. All I long for is to hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."


Conquering the Plateau

Inevitably, it happens. Everything is going great. The weight is coming off slowly but surely. And then...

The dreaded plateau.

Plateau: noun
a period or state of little or no growth or decline.

Yes, I hit a plateau back in August. No matter what I did, the scale wouldn't budge!  



After three weeks of a complete standstill, I had to take action. First I had to figure out what was holding me back!

I started logging my food intake into the MyFitnessPal for the first time. Wow, did I learn a thing or two! Some of the things that I thought I was eating in proper portions was actually way too much! I realized also that a few things I was eating were not quite as healthy as I thought.

I have never been much of a calorie counter or tracker, but I realized it was a vital part of the equation of my fitness goals. With the MyFitnessPal app, calorie counting was a breeze. I also realized that journaling what I was eating helped me be more aware of what I was consuming.

Next, I started researching my exercise routine. That's what the problem was. I had a routine. My body was pretty smart and had adjusted to my routine. It was time to change things up. It was time to push harder. So I learned to vary my workouts and change things up throughout the week.

Increased exercise + decreased calorie consumption = weight loss plateau conquered!


A Few of My Favorite Things...



One of my favorite products is Ole High Fiber Wraps. 16 grams of carbs, but 11 of those carbs are fiber. That means the net carbs is only 5 grams! I use these to make wraps, soft tacos, pizzas, and more.



One of my favorite breakfasts... 
Southwest Omelet!
I make it in this omelet pan for microwave.

2 eggs
tsp skim milk
diced onions
salt and pepper to taste

2 minutes in the microwave

Top with salsa and jalapenos
Around 175 calories!

Update

Three months ago, I entered a weight loss competition. That's pretty ambitious for someone on furlough! (Remember, it's pretty much assumed that missionaries on furlough will gain 20 pounds or more!) I knew the competition would motivate me. It did! I am excited to announce that the competition is finally completed, and I took third place!




No comments: