Friday, August 17, 2018

Help! I'm homeschooling! part 3

Umbrella Schools and Standardized Testing

Grilling marshmallows in a summer blizzard circa 2010
Does having a diploma mean that a child received a quality education? No. Does the lack of a diploma mean that the child is ignorant? Again, no.  Does standardized testing accurately determine the education level of a child? Absolutely not. But if getting a diploma or other documentation is easy, why not do it?  Having proof that your child completed the minimum courses can make his transition to higher education or employment easier. Enrolling in an umbrella school and taking standardized tests are easy ways to make that happen.

Umbrella School

What is an umbrella school?

An umbrella school is a school that helps you document your homeschooling. They take on many different forms.  Some of them are on-line. Others are Christian, private, or even public schools. Still others are run through a single curriculum like A Beka Book or BJU Press to give two examples.

How would an umbrella school help me?

Umbrella schools vary in their level of involvement in your home school.  The beauty is that you can choose the school that matches your needs. You can pick one that does everything from lesson plans, to classes, to testing. This works well if you use only one curriculum.  If you are like me, though, and like to mix and match books, you would do better with an umbrella school that is less involved.  Mine, for example has certain guidelines about what needs to be taught and reported every year.  They leave the lesson planning, education, and testing to me. That is how I like it. The cost is minimal.  In return, I get a diploma for my child with official transcripts.

What do I need to look for in an umbrella school?

Look for a school that works for what you need.  If you need a lot of help with planning and testing, enroll in a school that does that for you.  If you are more of a curriculum snob, like me, then enroll in a school that gives basic guidelines and requirements. Finding an umbrella school with a Department of Education Number (DOE number) is very important.  This means that the government has given their stamp of approval to the school to verify that your child's diploma and transcripts are official.  

Standardized Testing

What is a standardized test?

A standardized test is a test given to compare students with the norms of other students.  There are different forms of standardized tests.  One of the most common is the California Achievement Test (CAT), though there are others.  Some of these are administered through an umbrella school. If not, you can order them on line.  

What do I gain by giving a standardized test?

I know, comparing ourselves to other people is bad.  So, why should you do it?  For me, it was an easy overview of where my children were versus where they should be.  Also, it was a really easy way to document that my students were indeed learning.   Not to be ignored were the smiles on my kids' faces when they knew that "test week" meant no studying for the test, no homework, and no stress about passing or failing.  I always tell them that it is really more a test of me as their teacher then them as students.

What about the SAT and ACT?

Many countries have a school that administers these standardized tests.  This works well for those of us educating our children outside of the United States. The test days are usually the same as the test days in the States.  You can register for them on line.  Plan about an hour, though, for your child to answer all of the questions when you register for the tests.  Some colleges will accept these tests scores for the college application without an official high school diploma.  Consider having your student take an on-line prep course to help them better answer the questions. 

When I first started homeschooling, the paperwork scared me to death. I knew that I would educate my children, but I did not know if I could prove that they had learned anything.  Having an umbrella school and giving standardized tests helped me stay on track and gave me the peace of mind that their schooling was documented.  It was far easier than I thought it would be and cost very little.  I recommend it to others who are looking for a way to document their children's education.



Patrick and Vicki Weimer in Iceland since 1999

Click here to read Part one
Click here to read Part two

No comments: