Monday, September 10, 2018

Blessing from Where I'm Planted

I was so discouraged and homesick. I couldn't make friends in Georgia, and it seemed friends and family so quickly forgot us.... (no offense, it just happens- life moves on for them too.) As I cried out to the Lord, He convicted my heart. My vision was too narrow. The body of Christ is relevant in any place; I just needed to open my eyes.

For many missionaries, working alone is a necessity, as there is NO ONE else around. Here, that is not the case. Though we don't all necessarily work in the same ministry, we are friends and are "working on the same team" so to speak, to reach Georgia for Christ.

It is toward these precious people that God has turned my heart this first term on the field. I only need know English, not Georgian. We can fellowship and encourage each other in language learning and other issues that crop up on the field. We can pray for each other. -And we can be mindful of needs.

I have a sewing machine. I would not say I am a seamstress, but I can do basic things. One of the missionaries mentioned having a hard time coming up with skirts that were long enough for her tall and slim little girls. The girls admired one of my skirts. So, for Christmas, I ripped up that skirt and made matching skirts for all the girls. It was rather fun, and a sweet surprise for them. They had a newborn premature-size, so that is why the doll. :)

Another missionary's daughter had a birthday the same time as my son, so I made her a hooded towel, as I had made him. (His is pictured. -Hers was pink and embroidered with her initial.) She loved it, and according to the mom, sisters kept borrowing it; so I had to make one for each of them on their birthdays. These are actually simple, and once I figured it out, it doesn't take much time or budget. It is just a regular sized towel with a folded hand-towel size sewn to make a hood and whatever embellishments.



Then, another child needed something for church. He just turned one, and is on the move. There are no nurseries at church here, and with the long services, a little entertainment is often needed for the little ones. So, I learned how to make busy books, and made one for both the other boy and for my son who is 2.
Another thing we have done as a family, which I'm sure many of you have done as well, is to make meals for those who are sick, moving, or having a baby; babysat for a couple so they can go on a date without the kids; and transported to and from the airport.

For the most part, it is simple. Listen to needs/desires, and see if it is something with which I can help. It is being a friend. This is one way I can "do" ministry, even while in language training. In striving to bless others, I also receive joy; and I have something to do besides study language! It is also a great blessing to disciple a young college student here, in English, as we are both learning and growing in our faith. 

What are your talents? How can you add to the body of Christ and be a blessing, wherever you are and in whatever stage you are in? It doesn't have to be conventional; but it does have to be something. God calls all His daughters to serve and work in the body of Christ. This is what I am learning, as I grow to understand that ministry is different than I than I thought.

Are you blooming and blessing from where you are planted?

3 comments:

Lou Ann Keiser said...

What a wonderful post! As my talent is certainly not sewing, I am in awe. What a blessing you are!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this! It is a Blessing to know others have the same feelings and trials as they leave all they've know on and go to the mission field. I have brought a sewing machine to as we came to Africa and have needed it for my family and others . It's Amazing what God can do thru people ! Keep serving , prayers to you guys . Emily

Joyful said...

I love this post of inspiration and showing love to others.