Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Homemade Eggnog

It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like a Christmas!!!!! 

Ok....so maybe it’s not. Maybe you live in the tropics, like I do. I mean, it’s December and I just spent 3 hours in my garden getting sunburned and planting veggies. 
Just cause it doesn’t look like Christmas doesn’t mean we can’t taste Christmas! 

Eggnog is my second favorite drink on the whole entire planet! Seriously! I love it so much! It’s thick, creamy, sweet, and tastes yummy in my first favorite drink...coffee! 

Eggnog is not available, here, in Papua New Guinea. So, my mother and I decided we would find a recipe of our own! 

I hope you enjoy this eggnog as much as I do! 

What You’ll Need:
2 cups cream 
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar 
8 eggs 
(10 eggs if your eggs are small)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger 
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg 
(The stuff from the jar is fine, too) 

Optional:
Maple extract,
Vanilla extract, or
Orange extract 


In a medium saucepan, heat your cream, milk, and spices. 

Separate the eggs. Make sure there is no yolk (even a tiny speck) in the whites. If there is, the whites won’t whip properly.

Beat the egg yolks with the sugar, until you get a thick, light yellow mixture. 
If you’re going to add an extract, do so now.

Temper (slowly add) the warm cream and milk to the egg yolk mixture. Pour mixture into a pitcher. 

In a clean bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. (My video shows you what that looks like.) 

Gently fold the stiff egg whites into the yolk mixture.

Chill, and serve with a sprinkle of nutmeg! 

For a more Keto friendly version of this recipe...

What You’ll Need:
3 cups cream
1 cup water 
Sweetener
(Whatever you use, add to taste.) 
8 eggs 
(10 eggs if your eggs are small) 
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger 
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
(The stuff from the jar is fine too) 

Optional 
Maple extract
Vanilla extract 
Orange extract


The process is the same for this version.

Amber Wells
Papua New Guinea 🇵🇬 



2 comments:

Joyful said...

One day I shall have to try making this drink. Thank you for the two recipes :-)

Amber Wells said...

When you do make it, let me know how you like it! ��