Monday, December 10, 2018

Pressed to His Chest

Stress. It is one thing to which we can all relate. Work stress. Family stress. Health stress. Emotional stress... the list goes on and on. With a premature newborn in the house, and two sick toddlers, my husband and I have been under a lot of physical stress. Long days; even longer nights. Hours of screaming babies. No couple time or dates. We were literally only surviving.

Paul did not nurse; and indeed, it was a lot of work to get him to even take a bottle. He would be diagnosed a "failure to thrive" baby in the States. As I spent whole days just in our room trying to get him to eat, I would be so tempted to give up on breastfeeding and just do formula. I found myself thinking "If I can only make it to _________, I'll be okay." Day after day, just trying to get Paul through one more day.

It is times like this that I remember something my mom once told me. There are always pressures in life: it is up to you whether the pressure becomes stress or not. We become stressed when we try to deal with something ourselves which God does not intend for us to carry alone. Pressures are designed to push us closer to Jesus.

As an encouragement to me, and to share with you all, I have collected some verses together relating to stress and the strength of God (emphasis mine). Please be encouraged to run to Jesus. He really can carry the problem and you- all by Himself! Rest in Jesus and the plan God has for you.



And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you.
2 Corinthians 13:4

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
1 Peter 5:7

Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.
Hebrews 11:33-34

Have mercy upon me, O Lord; for I am weak: O Lord, heal me; for my bones are vexed. 
Psalm 6:2

He weakened my strength in the way; he shortened my days.
Psalm 102:23

If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small. 
Proverbs 24:10

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Matthew 26:41

I had fainted unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Psalm 27:13

He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:29-31

When my soul fainted within me I remembered the Lord
and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.
Jonah 2:7

Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;
2 Corinthians 4:1

For the which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, 
yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
2 Corinthians 4:16

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
Galatians 6:9

For consider him that endured the cross, despising the shame, 
and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:3

O Lord God of hosts, who is a strong Lord like unto thee: or to they faithfulness round about thee?
Psalm 89:8

The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.
Proverbs 18:10

The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.
Nahum 1:7

No comments: