Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Cake For Picky Eaters

Just about every single one of my family members and friends will tell you that I am a picky eater. 
I know how to turn "picky" off when I am at somebody's house....but when I'm home...that is a completely different story. 
I love just about everything...with the exception of onions. *shudder* I have never been a huge fan of those. 
I am not crazy about hamburgers, or hotdogs, or chocolate, or ice cream, or cake, or cupcakes. 
Yes, I know, something is wrong with me. 
Some foods are just blehhh to me. And cake is normally blehhh. 
However, whenever I find a food that is blehhh, I like to try and spruce it up a bunch so that I really like whatever it is, and crave it. It is almost like a challenge...I like to challenge myself to cook or bake something so that I find it amazing. 
Yes, we have already established that I am strange. 
So...I have never been a cake fan...unless it is lemon cake. That stuff is amazing. 
But I wanted to make a cake that I would enjoy. However, I didn't want to make pans and pans of cakes (although I am sure my brothers wouldn't have minded).
So I thought, "why don't I make individual cakes?" 
So I hopped on Pinterest and found out that microwaveable mug cakes are big thing...which I thought was kinda cool. 
I read several recipes, and they all just seemed blehhh to me. I decided that it would be easier to make my own recipe than it would be to find a recipe and try it, adjust it, and tweak it until I liked it. 
 Here is the product of my evening of microwaving mugs full of batter. 

1/4 cup flour (gluten free -  1/2 cup oat flour)
(to make the oat flour I just blended 1/2 cup of oats until it was fine enough)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons sour cream ( dairy free - 3 tablespoons apple sauce)
1 tablespoon oil (coconut oil would give some nice flavor)
1 tablespoon coffee
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon extract of your choice (optional)

The beauty of these microweavable cakes is that there is no beating, creaming, or whipping. 
Just dump the ingredients into your mug and stir well with a fork. 
Once there are no clumps, microwave for 1 min 45 sec.
Remove from microwave, and enjoy.
Now if you are really craving something sweet, you may want to add some frosting, or chocolate syrup. I enjoyed a dollop of whipped cream on mine. 

While my brothers and I were testing these cakes out, one of them asked me if I was gonna add peanut butter to any of the cakes....so we did!
If you're feeling like adding some extra flavors, go ahead and just do it! 
Add about a tablespoon (more if you want lots of extra flavor) of peanut butter to your batter before you microwave it. If you want chunks, barely mix in the peanut butter. If you want it smooth, mix well.
We also added raspberry jam (by the tablespoon), marshmallows, and nuts. 
Whatever you're feeling, just add it. 

I made these in very large mugs! If you are going to make these in a normal size mug, just do half of the recipe.
I'll be nice, and do the math for you. 

2 tablespoons flour 
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon oil 
1 1/2 teaspoon coffee 
1 egg
1/8 teaspoon extract 

There ya go! 

I hope you enjoy this recipe! I would love to see pictures and hear what you think of these Mug Cakes for Picky Eaters.

Amber Wells 
Papua New Guinea 




 

1 comment:

Joyful said...

I haven't tried making any mini cakes in the microwave yet. I hope I can find your recipe again when I want to try it :-)