Thursday, February 6, 2020

I Don't Need Help- I'm Fine...

Have you ever had a problem/project that you just couldn't figure out, and even though you have a friend who is pretty much an expert, you say "no thanks" when they offer to show you how or help you?

Why do we do that?

Maybe I should rephrase- Why do *I* do that?

Why do I wave my hand at them and say "I'll figure it out", confident that I can handle it, when they could so easily just show me or teach me how to do it? Why do I stubbornly act like I don't mind all the time it is taking me, or the way my teeth are wearing down from being clenched in frustration, or the waste in materials from all the ways I've done it wrong so far?

Because I have a pride problem.

Pride says "I can do it! I don't need help! I'm FINE."
I was looking for a scripture the other day (yes it was during the Sunday sermon, but I promise I was paying attention- it was related) and instead of finding the one I was looking for, God led me to this one:

1 Peter 5:6-7
(6) Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

It's a pretty familiar verse. But God showed me again that context is so important. There's a : there for a reason. And a : means more explanation is coming, so pay attention.

The next verse says:
(7) Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Hmmm...that really made me think. If I am not casting my cares on God, then I am acting in pride. I am not trusting that He is able. That His hand is mighty. That He cares for me.

I am taking upon myself that which I was never intended to handle. All my burdens, my worries, my problems, my fears...all are to be given to a God who is more than capable of handling them. And then in due time He will exalt me.

The word exalt means 'lift up'. When I've given my burdens to God, in the right time He will lift me up above them. He will give me victory through His power. He will help me focus on Him and His strength. He will speak shalom into my life regardless of whether or not I 'figure it out.'

Also when we refuse help, we are not allowing those who have a gift to use it to be a blessing. We are preventing them from ministering. Even if it's just sitting and listening to us share our heart, and praying with us. There are people super good at that. Or someone who knows about installing floors who can help, or guide you through scripture when you're confused, or help you plant a garden...

The church is equipped by God to love on and help each other. Maybe you've heard we should be the hands and feet of Jesus. How often have I quenched someone's gift by refusing to humble myself and ask for help? God gave us good gifts for the edification of the Body. I don't know it all. I can't do everything well.

Admitting that and asking for help isn't weakness. It isn't sin. These verses actually tell us that when we DON'T come to God for help that we are acting in pride. Perhaps the way He wants to answer or help you is through your family in Christ.

I am so thankful for a loving God who gives me gentle reminders of His faithful goodness, even when I was looking for something else.

No comments: