Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Sourdough Donuts 🍩

Sourdough Donuts
Now that you've got your sourdough starter ready and active, here is an amazing donut recipe for you!
Something I love about sourdough, is that you can mix up your dough before you go to bed, and then bake/fry/cook whatever it is in the a.m.! Or you can mix things up in the a.m., and bake/fry/cook whatever it is in the p.m.!
Sourdough seems very daunting. You have to keep the starter alive, and for some reason that seems scary and impossible. I've been working with sourdough since 2012, and I dont know how many starters I've killed. Sometimes it is because we were in the bush for a month, or cause things were so crazy I didnt feed my starter. Sometimes it was because of some random reason that I never could figure out. But that's ok, because the starter that Kayliegh posted about last time is super easy to make! Out of the many starters my family has tested, this one is our favorite! It doesn't call for potato flakes or carrot juice, it doesn't need hours and hours to activate, and it tastes so much better!
One more thing that may convince you how amazing sourdough is, is that some of the gluten intolerant missionaries that are here in PNG have discovered that they can eat sourdough bread if it has rested/risen for 8 hours! Apparently, the sourdough eats most of the gluten, and makes the gluten content extremely low! So, if you're GF, do some research and see if this will work for you! I dont know how GF it is, but I hope it is GF enough for some you out there!



Combine all of the ingredients except the baking soda (which is optional). In a stand mixer (or by hand, but it's much less messy in the mixer) knead the dough for 10 minutes. It will be a loose dough, and probably won't form a ball. Thats ok!
After you're done kneading, let the dough rest on the counter for 6-12 hours. My favorite is around 8-10 hours, thats overnight for me.
The dough will have doubled in size. If you want a less sour taste sprinkle the baking soda on at this time and gently knead it in. Gently roll it out until it's about a finger width thick. (Yes, I know, that is a very scientific thickness.) Using your donut cutters, cut out your donuts! We like these better without the holes, but that's up to you.
Let the donuts rest for 45-60 min. Then fry, and flip when they start to brown.
I find that flipping the donuts with chopsticks is much easier, and doesn't leave weird marks on the donuts like tongs do.
If you're coating with Cinnamon Sugar (like I did here), dont let the donuts dry. Dip the donuts in the sugar as soon as you can touch them without screaming in agony. If you're dipping in a glaze, you'll still want to dip them while they're hot. If you're filling them with cream or pudding, allow to cool completely.


I hope you enjoy these amazing donuts!

Amber Wells
Papua New Guinea

1 comment:

Joyful said...

Thank you for the recipe. I haven't started to make sour dough yet but once I do I will know where to come for the delicious looking donuts.