Wednesday, February 12, 2020

We Rest on Thee, Our Shield and Our Defender

I’ve mentioned before that our furlough is drawing to a close.  My husband has already returned to our field of service.  I stayed a little longer for one last visit with family and a little more time with our first grandchild.  The sweet little girl is named after Elisabeth Elliot.  Her mother was listening to a Revive Our Hearts podcast recently and recommended it to me.  

The series this week is with Valerie Elliot Shepard.  They are discussing the life of her parents.  It has been such an encouragement to me at this time.  I don’t face death in Japan like these servants of God did with the natives where they were called to serve.  My challenges seem like nothing when lined up with what they faced.  During the second podcast, a choked up Valerie quoted a hymn that the five men who died sang that last Christmas before their death.  It was a rebuke and an encouragement to me.  

I’ve never heard this hymn sung before, so I looked it up.  What powerful truth!!  What encouragement!!  I wanted to share this with you, my fellow missionary women.  I hope that it will be a blessing to you as it has been to me.  May we rest on God, our Shield and our Defender!!

We rest on Thee, our Shield and our Defender;
   We go not forth alone against the foe;
Strong in Thy strength, safe in Thy keeping tender.
   We rest on Thee, and in Thy Name we go.

Yea, in Thy Name, O Captain of salvation!
   In Thy dear Name, all other names above;
Jesus our Righteousness, our sure Foundation,
   Our Prince of glory and our King of love.

We go in faith, our own great weakness feeling,
   And needing more each day Thy grace to know;
Yet from our hearts a song of triumph pealing;
   We rest on Thee, and in Thy Name we go.

We rest on Thee, our Shield and Our Defender:
  Thine is the battle, Thine shall be the praise
When reigning in the Kingdom of Thy splendor;
   Victors, we rest with Thee, through endless days.

~Edith Gilling Cherry

No comments: