Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Sad Good Byes

My grandmother used to always say, “Without any sad goodbyes, there wouldn’t be any sweet hellos.”  I think of that every time I have to say good bye to someone.  Good byes are an inevitable part of being a missionary.  One is always having to say good bye to someone.  When leaving the home country to go the field, there are many good byes.  When leaving the field for a furlough, there are more good byes.  

Our furlough is drawing to a close and I am reminded of our former mission director telling us of a veteran missionary that they went to see off at the airport at the end of her furlough.  She made the comment that the good byes get more and more difficult.  I am beginning to understand that as I face saying good bye to family members and a new grand baby.  It is definitely more difficult.  

I was comforted by the following reading in my devotional book that I have been reading.  God is so good to always meet us where we are.  I shouldn’t be, but I was amazed when this was the reading on a day when I was thinking about those dreaded good byes.  I pray that it will be a comfort to you as well.


~from Devotions from the Front Porch by Stacy J. Edwards


No comments: