Thursday, January 2, 2020

Bravery vs Bravado


When I was about 10 years old, my sister and I were playing outside with our friends. One time we were at their house just down the block, and our ball went into the bushes. My sister did not know these were rose bushes, and when she went to retrieve the ball, she got all scratched up and began crying.

Two boys from our elementary school were walking by at the time and immediately began to make fun of her. Nothing infuriated me more than people making fun of my sister (who was extremely shy and therefore an easy target). So I promptly walked over to them, explained why she was crying, and then with hands on hips, told them to say it again so I could punch them in the head.

So they did.

And then I did.

And then THEY were the ones crying. They said (as they began running home) that they were going to bring their dad over and he would deal with me. I yelled after them to go ahead, and I would punch their dad in the head, too.

Needless to say he never showed up.

[Full disclosure: I was not nearly as cute as the girl in the photo. I am sure I was covered in sweat and dirt, and sported an out of control afro. And my clothes probably did not match. It was the 80s after all.]

Part of me likes to think that I would’ve punched their dad out if he’d had the nerve to come to my friend’s house, but I know I never, ever would have. This was evidenced by the fact that we played inside the house for the rest of the afternoon.

I don’t think it was bravery that made me punch those kids (not even righteous indignation- just plain old offense), but it was certainly bravado that made me yell that I would punch their dad too, should he show up.

After the sermon by my pastor yesterday about having courage, I got to thinking about the topic of bravery vs bravado, and what that looks like in the Christian realm.

Bravery obeys God’s call, regardless of the circumstances.
Bravado says she would, but when faced with an actual trial, she wilts.

Bravery speaks up when a situation calls for intervention.
Bravado does nothing in the moment, but dissects it later among friends, criticizing the actions of others.

Bravery depends on the Lord in the present and for the future, and shares current ways the Lord is working, regardless of how ‘small’ they seem.
Bravado constantly rehearses ‘amazing’ things God did 25 years ago regardless of whether they were actually involved (and perhaps with a bit of exaggeration), but has no current stories of the Lord’s working.

Bravery gives when called to, even when it is a major sacrifice.
Bravado says “If I won the lottery I’d give it ALL to the church!” but never gives anything now.

Bravery speaks of ways GOD has shown HIS power in extraordinary circumstances.
Bravado speaks of “Boy, what I would do for God if given the chance…” but never moves out of the hypothetical.

You see, it takes bravery to walk the path of faith. To do what God has called us to, regardless of outside reactions (whether positive or negative). True bravery knows that God is the source of all goodness in our lives, and anything amazing is from His hand alone.

There is no faith in bravado, because it isn’t real. It depends solely on outside reactions, and is done to impress with no intention of follow-through. Bravado is focused on ME and MY actions, and actually has little or nothing to do with God; except that I say I have done it/would do it in His name.

Talk is cheap, as the saying goes. You can say whatever you want about crazy/amazing things you’ve done, or crazy/amazing things you COULD do for God, and there won’t be a way to tell if it’s true or not. You can fool some people some of the time, and even some people ALL of the time, but you can’t fool ALL people all of the time. And you can never fool God. If you are walking in bravado, eventually someone is going to call you on the carpet. How will you respond?

Lord, as we go into a new year, help me to truly be brave and not full of bravado.

Psalm 36:1-3 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David the servant of the LORD. The transgression of the wicked saith within my heart, that there is no fear of God before his eyes.
(2) For he flattereth himself in his own eyes, until his iniquity be found to be hateful.
(3) The words of his mouth are iniquity and deceit: he hath left off to be wise, and to do good.

Proverbs 20:6 Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?

James 2:14-20 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
(15) If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
(16) And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
(17) Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
(18) Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
(19) Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
(20) But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Deut. 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

Joshua 1:9 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

1 Thessalonians 5:24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

2 comments:

Nemaram Punavat said...

walking shoes for women

Buy the latest footwear online for women, we offer the online casual walking shoes for women at affordable price. Get the black shoes and boots for women from the online shoe repair store.

to get more - https://shoerepair.org/product-category/women-footwear/

Joyful said...

A thought provoking and inspirational post. I pray the Lord would also give me a quality of bravery in all things this year.