Thursday, January 23, 2020

Do Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly.

Have you ever sinned against the Lord with what you consider a "big" sin, or you've been away from Him for a long time, and feel like you have to make up for it in an equally big way? Like God is going to ask something really hard from you as payment for it?

God isn’t like that, but that’s sometimes how we are with each other, isn't it? If someone hurts me in a big way, I want them to make it right in a big way. Prove they really mean it.

Israel sinned against God big-time. For a LONG time.

In the book of Micah chapter 6, they wonder what they can do to make things right with God. They even list some suggestions:

v6- Should I bow myself before the high God?
v6- Shall I come before him with burnt offerings?
v6- Shall I bring calves of a year old?
v7- Will he be pleased with thousands of rams?
v7- Ten thousands of rivers of oil?
v7- Shall I give my firstborn, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

The things mentioned start off reasonable, but become increasingly excessive, until they seem frantic in wanting to know what they can do to make it right, even suggesting things that are impossible (who can gather ten thousand rivers of oil?), or things God would never ask of them (to sacrifice their children for their own sin).

But Micah reminds them the Lord has already shown them what is good. He requires of them:

1. Do justly.
2. Love mercy.
3. Walk humbly with God.

Sometimes we try to make things harder than they need to be, perhaps as an excuse as to why we haven't gotten right with the Lord, or can't get right. "God just wants too much from me."

But God lays it out so clearly and simply for us, and will help us do it! He wants us to be in fellowship with Him!

"For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee." Psalm 86:5

Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly.

No comments: