Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Sourdough Bread (in a machine)

Sourdough Bread
 in a bread machine

I love sourdough bread, as I'm sure you have figured out. But sometimes I don't have time to make sourdough bread...or I'm told last minute that we need a loaf of bread. 

I decided to figure out a bread machine recipe for sourdough bread. I couldn't figure out how to make the bread golden brown, because my machine only bakes for one hour. I believe if I could bake the bread for maybe 15 minutes more, the top may brown. The texture was amazing! It wasn't dense, and had a nice crumb! The crust was actually crusty, and the inside was soft. I was so happy how it turned out. My brothers loved the bread, so that was a win for me. This bread makes amazing sandwiches and toast. It doesn't crumble when toasted, and doesn't get soggy as soon as you put anything moist on it. 

I cut a loaf in half, and set it in our oven overnight just to see if the loaf would dry out. And it didn't! 

Simply combine the ingredients in your machine, and run the basic cycle....or whatever cycle does a knead, a rise and a bake. 

Just remember, normal sourdough, when allowed to rise for at least 8 hours, is lower in gluten. But because this doesn't have that resting period it will not affect the gluten content of the bread. 


For extra fluffy bread, you can do 2 teaspoons of yeast. In all honesty, the lightness of the bread is determined on your sourdough starter. 


Amber Wells 
Papua New Guinea 



No comments: