Thursday, January 26, 2012

Banana Bread

 I recently received a Facebook message from a pastor friend from Kenya. He was recalling the impact my husband Bill had made on him as he taught through the book of Revelation, and how he appreciated me making banana bread for he and the other Bible Institute students. You know how many years ago that was?? About 16!

Do we really know that the little things we do that minister to others?  Jesus tell us in Matthew 25:36-45:

"For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:  Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me:  I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

The other day I was visiting with some missionary women - most of them young mothers. The topic got onto how we can minister from within our homes. I told them about the young preacher and the blessing of a simple loaf of banana bread. We then began to discuss other ways we can minister from our homes. What are some ways you ladies have found to minister through your homes? I would love to read your comments!

3 comments:

Ashley Justice said...

That's a blessing that someone remembers your hospitality kindness from that long ago. Sometimes we think these small acts go unnoticed but these stories are an encouragement for us all to continue to do what we can to be a blessing. It will make a difference! Thank you!

Jolene said...

I, too, was encouraged by this post! Sometimes we moms of {lots of} littles can feel like there is not much we can do. I wrote a similar post on my blog last year that you may enjoy:

http://jolenesupdates.blogspot.com/2011/04/missionary-monday-banana-bread.html

Bill and Tammy Brouwer said...

Jolene, guess we are on the same track! Bananas go bad so quickly here that I'm always making banana bread. However, my family doesn't eat it much anymore so I typically give it away as soon as it comes out of the oven. It is such a treat for Tanzanians who don't have ovens, and such a small thing for me to do to be a blessing.