Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Green Pepper Chicken

Hello, wherever you are in the world!
At this moment, I'm in Michigan, but a week from today, I'll be getting on a great big plane and flying home to Ghana!
How very excited I am (along with all the other emotions I'm feeling right now)!
Hope you've enjoyed the copycat recipes over the last few weeks!
Today I'm going to bring you a Sorta-Chinese dish. I say sorta because I'm positive it's not authentic. But, I'm posting it here because it is still delicious, and I'm not really sure what other description I could post it under.
Besides, you eat it on top of white rice.....that makes it Chinese, right?!?
{I'm sure any missionaries to China might disagree!}

Green Pepper Chicken

2 Tbsp. oil
1 lb boneless chicken, cut into 1-in. pieces (whatever cut you prefer, breasts or thighs)
1 c. water
1/2 c. ketchup
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/8 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. flour
1 lg. onion, halved and cut into thin slices
2 green peppers, cut into thin slices
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained

cooked white rice for serving

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken; cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally. In a medium sized bowl whisk water, ketchup, soy sauce, and pepper; gradually whisk in the flour. Remove chicken from skillet. Stir in the water-ketchup mixture and bring to a boil; add chicken and the onion. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add peppers and mushrooms and simmer, covered, for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionaly. (Watch closely at the end as it will start to stick).
Serve over rice.

  Do you like Chinese food? I do! And I'm definitely eating my fill of all the kinds I can't get in Ghana before we go back :)
What's your favorite Chinese dish?

No comments: