Sunday, April 1, 2012

Missionary Monday ~ Meet Jen Bauer


MISSIONARY INTERVIEW
Name – Jen Bauer
Field – Darwin, NT Australia

1.  Please share your missionary call.
Growing up I had surrendered to full-time Christian service.  I had assumed I would be a pastor’s wife.  After my first semester in Bible college, I felt the Lord calling me into missions.  I had no idea where, but I was willing to go wherever He wanted me.  Before my second year of college I began dating a man (who is know my husband!).  He had been called to Australia when he was six years old.  We knew the Lord’s will included us for each other.  So, we joked that I was called to Patrick, and he was called to Australia.  But it was during our survey trip in 2004, that the Lord burdened my heart for the people of Australia.  I remember we were helping with a youth activity, and I was sitting amongst a group of Aboriginal children, and I just felt the Lord speaking to my heart, telling me this is where I belonged.  This was home.  I still get choked up thinking of that special moment the Lord gave me.  I never thought it would take us nearly 8 years to get back here, but it was worth the wait.  This is our home!

2. What do you miss most about the states?
My family.  My church. The variety of restaurants. Hersheys.  Kohls.

3. What food do you miss from the states?
Reese’s peanut butter eggs.

4. What do you love most about your field?
The people.  Their accent!  Living 20 minutes from the ocean. The flowers. 

5.  What is a typical meal in your culture?
It’s very similar to America.  Meatpie is something I find they really enjoy here, and vegemite on toast.  They also sell kangaroo in the grocery store.

6.  Say something in your language, then translate.
G’day mate…she’ll be right, mate…you get the idea!

7.  What are some things you do to help your children not forget family back in the states?
Lots of photos around the house.  Weekly calls home, and occasional video chats.

8.  Please share your favorite Bible verse, or one that has been an encouragement to you.
Isaiah 55:8-9…I often need to be reminded that His ways are higher than my ways, and He doesn’t need my help.

9.  What have you found to be the biggest challenge on the mission field?
Loneliness.  I think most women struggle with this.  I also miss date nights with my husband.

10.  Name one thing God has taught you on the mission field.
That He is in control.  Don’t get me wrong, I know this, we all do, but we all need to be reminded…sometimes daily!

We waited for nearly three years for our visa.  He has a reason and plan for everything.  I sometimes still wonder why he had us wait that long, but one of my closest friends was met during that wait. 

We also had some misconceptions when arriving (as I'm sure most of us have), but my husband and I prayed and left it all in God’s hands, and asked Him to use us and bring glory to His name.  We have found that although things were not as we expected God knew before us when He led us here.  He never makes mistakes.  And honestly, we couldn't have picked a more perfect place to live!  I’ve never been more content with my life than I am right now.  What an incredible honor to serve such an amazing God. 

God is good…all the time.


*The first Monday of every month we interview a fellow missionary women/wife/mother.  Would you like to be interviewed?  Just email us at baptistmissionarywomen@hotmail.com

Now please link up with your lastest Missionary Monday post!

No comments: