Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Chicken Taco Casserole

Last week we gave you a recipe for tortilla chips so that this week we could give you a recipe that calls for them! Chicken Taco Casserole was a recipe I first discovered by searching out chicken recipes on Pinterest. Again, another recipe by Six Sister's Stuff. I love their recipes!


This stuff is seriously delicious and the corn tortillas baked in just make your house smell like a Mexican restaurant! Even though you have to "tweak" the recipe a little to make it work on the field, it is still a family favorite!




Ingredients:

1 (10 oz) bag tortilla chips

2 (10.75 oz) cans cream of chicken soup **I make my own as I have mentioned before, adding a few bullion cubes dissolved in about 1/4 cup of water to the sauce. I really need to post this recipe separately. :)

1 1/2 cups sour cream

1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chilis  - **I add one can of whole tomatoes chopped up and throw in some chopped jalapeno peppers because I can get them here.

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained **I use canned kidney beans.

1 (1 oz) packet taco seasoning - **Again, I make up my own. :)

3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded

2 cups cheddar cheese - ** I use Edam or Gouda cheese here since Cheddar is not that accessible.



Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch pan.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken soup, sour cream, canned tomatoes,  beans, taco seasoning and chicken. Set aside.
Crush chips (I just crush them with my hands) and spread half of them on the bottom of the pan. 
Spread half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas. Top with 1 cup of cheese. Repeat layers.
Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is starting to brown.



We like to serve this meal with rice as I tend to make it with more "soup" mixture.
Enjoy!

No comments: