Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Borscht (beet soup)

I have been asked to share a recipe from my collection that is truly Russian. You don't get much more Russian than Borscht (beet soup). This particular recipe is from a lady who I met back during my time in Bible college. I usually leave out the meat as many people do but I am copying it here exactly as it was shared. Borscht is not a quick meal but very delicious soup that can be stored in the fridge and eaten over several days.




1-1 1/2 lb. roast or stew meat (can be made with or without)
1-2 chopped carrots
1 chopped onion
1 grated beet (2 if small)
1/2 head of cabbage, finely chopped
1 green pepper, chopped (I omit)
2 potatoes, 1 whole and 1 cubed
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1 small can tomato paste
3-4 bay leaves (I omit)
oil
salt
beef bullion for more flavor, if desired

Boil meat about 2 1/2 hours (add salt). After one hour, add a whole potato. Drain off fat as meat cooks. In a skillet, fry chopped onion in plenty of oil. Add chopped carrots and grated beets. Add tomato paste. Cook the mixture for a while.Remove meat from broth and cut up into small pieces. Mash the whole potato and put back in broth. Bring broth to a boil and add cabbage, potatoes,and green pepper. Add tomato paste mixture. Put in bay leaves and chopped parsley a little later. Add meat chunks last. You may need to add water as you see fit. If desired, add a tablespoon of sour cream to each bowl when ready to eat. Borscht is usually served with black (rye) bread but we like it with good ol' American garlic bread. :)

2 comments:

Joyful said...

I've only ever had borscht once or twice. I loved it. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Ashley Justice said...

You are very welcome!