Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Banana Bread

I don't know if you are like me or not but, when I have made a basic recipe several times I like to try to find a way to make it better. Just about the time I was wondering if there was a better recipe for banana bread, one of my friends posted the recipe I had been searching for. I was reminded about this recipe just the other day as I made a loaf of banana bread but had forgotten about this recipe.So,  I just used one from my Betty Crocker cookbook. As I was taking it out of the oven I thought to myself, this is not the recipe I used before. Our youngest son immediately asked, "Mom, where is the crumby stuff on top like the last time?" Oops, Mom messed up! :) Looks like we need to buy some more bananas and try not to eat them until they are ripe enough to make banana bread with crumby stuff! :)

This recipe does not call for a glaze, this is a stock photo that was as close
 as I could find to what this bread looks like fresh out of the oven. :)


Ingredients:

FOR THE BATTER:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas (about 5 medium)
FOR THE TOPPING:
1/4 all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, diced


Directions:

FOR THE BREAD:
Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350°F). Lightly grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cake spice.
In another large bowl, using an electric hand mixer on medium speed, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy - about 3 minutes.
Stir in eggs, vanilla and mashed bananas until well blended.
Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently stir banana mixture into flour mixture - stirring until ingredients are just combined.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.

FOR THE TOPPING:
In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cake spice and salt.
With your hands, work in butter pieces, until small clumps form.
Spread topping evenly over batter.

TO BAKE:
Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.
Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a wire rack.


Notes:

Banana bread is better served after it has had time to sit overnight at room temperature.
Banana bread will keep wrapped in plastic wrap and aluminum foil for up to 3 days.

No comments: