Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Reminders Along the Roadside


Our furlough continues and there is always something new to learn or something that needs to be reviewed.  Rather than write a post this time, I thought I would share some verses that have been a help to me during this time.  I hope they will be an encouragement to you as well.

Feeling overwhelmed…

“From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.”  ~Psalm 61:2

Feeling so, so, so tired…

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” ~Matthew 11:28

“For I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul.” ~Jeremiah 31:25

Need strength…

“The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.” ~Psalm 28:7

Overwhelmed with God’s loving care…

“Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men!” ~Psalm 31:19

Resting in God’s love…

“The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.” ~Jeremiah 31:3

A loving assurance of God’s presence…

“The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms…” ~Deuteronomy 33:27

A new thought…

I was in a meeting recently and the speaker spoke from 1 Corinthians 16:15, “I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,)”

I have read this book of the Bible several times, but I have never noticed this verse before.  The word addicted stopped me in my tracks.  

I looked it up in the dictionary.  Addicted means “strongly inclined or compelled to do, use, or indulge in something repeatedly.”  This is not a word I would have applied to ministry, but when I look at the definition I can’t help but see the challenge. 


Am I strongly inclined or compelled to do the ministry God has called me to?  Do I allow discouragement or tiredness or lack of fruit for my labors take away that strong inclination or compulsion?  If someone looks at my life will they say, “She is addicted to the ministry?”

*photo is of the gardens in spring at the Kyoto Imperial Palace

1 comment:

Joyful said...

Thanks for the scripture verses and for pointing out the word "addicted" in 1 Corinthians 16:15. I hadn't noticed this before either but it gets to the heart. Amen.