Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pumpkin Pie

Since October is almost over and November is knocking at the door,
I figured it was about time to share some Fall recipes.
Fall is my absolute favorite season, but since we don't have it in Ghana,
I just pretend.
I decorate my house with colored leaves and scarecrows and acorns and pine cones and pumpkins, and then I cook anything and everything that makes me think of Fall!
If it smells of cinnamon or apples or pumpkins, it is in!
What shouts Fall better than pumpkin pie?
I'm sure you have a recipe, but trust me when I tell you that this is the best one there is.
Everybody who eats it asks for the recipe.
And not only is it delicious, it is super easy!
My mom swears her mother got it off the back of a can of pumpkin puree.
I've also heard it is the recipe that Martha uses.
Can Martha and my Nina both be wrong???
I don't think so!

Pumpkin Pie

3/4 c. white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 large eggs
2 c. pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix!)
      {this can be either homemade or canned}
1 1/2 c. evaporated milk

 1 raw pie shell (your recipe)

 Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Mix dry ingredients together.
Mix wet ingredients together.
Mix both together.
Pour into shell.
Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30-50 minutes (depending on your oven),
or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.

You may want to cover the edges with tin foil if they start to darken too quickly.

Enjoy with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!

No comments: