Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Tangled Mind???


Well, we are at the end of our “tangled tongue” stories until someone else passes some more along.  I just have a couple more for you today.

When learning Spanish, a missionary was trying to say, “Excuse me,” but kept saying, “Spit on me,” instead.

When playing a game of Uno, a missionary told the other player that they were very ugly instead of unkind.

Another lady was teaching a Christian charm course for young ladies.  She was telling them about face cream and how moisturizing can help keep from having wrinkles.  Instead of wrinkles she said warts.  Those girls were horrified!

My husband and I have been learning Fante, the tribal language in our area.  One of the major problems with Fante is that the same word can mean many different things.  It just depends on the tone of voice in which it is said and the context in which it is used.  For example, the word “dɔ” (pronounced daw) can mean 1. To heat up; 2. To love; 3. To be fed up; 4. To dive; 5. To swear by something; 6. To seek refuge; 7. Deep.  Forget tangled tongues; I have a tangled mind!! Just when I think I am beginning to understand, I learn a new meaning for a word.  I may never master Fante, but I will keep trying.

If you have a language blooper or a funny story that you would like to share with us, please e-mail them to me at lo@consfords.com. Please include the name of each family member, your field of service, and a picture of your family if possible.

Until next week, keep your sunny side up!


No comments: