Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Breakfast Time: Leftover Oatmeal Muffins


Are you oatmeal eaters at your house?
I must confess that up until very recently, we haven't been.
Both my hubby and I had some nasty run-ins with oatmeal at young ages that have scarred us for the better part of a few decades.
But we are trying it again. Not really oatmeal, per se, but a soaked oat porridge.
I'm still messing with it a bit, but hubby and I are now able to swallow it down, and the kiddos actually seem to enjoy it.
I have found out one funny problem with oatmeal, though.
There always seems to be a little bit left.
Every. single. time.
That's where this delicious little recipe comes in {pic and recipe courtesy of Amanda}.
This lovely dish uses up that last bit of oatmeal so nothing goes to waste.
And guess what!?! They are delicious {better than the oatmeal itself, in my opinion!}.

Leftover Oatmeal Muffins

1 cup cooked oatmeal
1 egg
1 TBSP melted butter/oil
1/2 cup milk
4 TBSP honey/sugar/maple syrup
2 TBSP baking powder
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup 'extra somethings' - raisins, chocolate chips, berries, etc.

Mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder) and make a "well" in the middle.
Mix together wet ingredients in separate bowl (cooked oatmeal, egg, butter/oil, milk, sweetener).
Pour wet ingredients into "well" and stir until everything is wet, but still lumpy.
Stir in "extra somethings" just until mixed.
Scoop into prepared muffin tins.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Makes 12-18 muffins (depending on how you fill your cups!)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Charity said...

I do believe I shall add this to the menu! Yum!