Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Quick Korean Beef

Every now and then we need quick meals that we can make in a pinch and that still taste like we spent hours in the kitchen. This Korean beef recipe is made with ground beef and therefore, takes very little time, but still offers great flavor. I originally found this recipe from Six Sister's blog. I really enjoy their recipes.






1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar (If you want it sweeter you can use closer to 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sesame oil (I don't have this so I just put in some sesame seeds)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (see note)
1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers (to desired spiciness)
salt and pepper
1 bunch green onions, diced (don't skip this!)

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brown hamburger with garlic in the sesame oil. Drain most of the fat and add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper and red peppers. Simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors. Serve over steamed rice and top with green onions.


**A quick tip from Rachael Ray about fresh ginger. I love using fresh ginger in recipes but I never seem to have it on hand since it goes rotten in the refrigerator before I can use it. So, the next time you're at the store grab a large piece of ginger. Peel the entire thing and cut it into 1/2 inch pieces. Put it into a storage bag and keep it in the refrigerator. When you need a few teaspoons or so, all you have to do it pull out one of the small pieces and grate the alloted amount with a zester. It grates really well frozen!

2 comments:

Camille Elam said...

Thank you so much Sister Sterling for this recipe! I have made it twice in the last 3 days. My family loves it! And so economical with ground beef! Thanks again for posting it!

Ashley Justice said...

You are very welcome, Camille! I am so glad your family enjoys it and you find it a very affordable meal!