Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Granola - With Video


I am not a mother, but I am a teacher. I know that sometimes mornings can be pretty crazy! I don’t know how you mom’s do it! 
Sometimes I forget to set my alarm, and wake up realizing that I have an hour to do devotions, get ready for school, get Miranda (our little adopted girl) ready for school, feed my very loud and always hungry cockatoo, and make breakfast! Those mornings are terrible! 
But I know that on those crazy mornings, granola has my back! 
I don’t know where we got this recipe, we’ve had it for forever though. We’ve changed it, and adapted it, and now it’s perfect! Or close! 
This granola takes me about 30-45 minutes to make. It’s super easy! And it’s super nice because you can change things up to match your taste buds!

What you’ll need 
8 cups oats 
1 cup powdered milk 
1/2 cup sugar 
1/2 cup honey/syrup 
1/2 cup oil
4 tsp cinnamon 
1 tbs sesame seeds 
4 tsp vanilla 
(or whatever extract you like) 

Mix up the ingredients in a large skillet. On medium to high heat start cooking the granola. You’re gonna want to stir the granola very often! Because of the sugar in the granola it will burn if you leave it for too long. 
Once the granola has evenly turned golden brown then cool the granola. 
Once cooled you can add a variety of things to your granola! 

Chocolate 
Nuts 
Dried fruit 
Seeds 
Toasted coconut 
Crispy rice cereal
Yogurt covered raisins 

Store granola in an airtight container or zip top bag. 

Here are some variations of granola you can try:

Tropical 
Change out oil for coconut oil
Change out vanilla extract for coconut extract
Add toasted coconut, dried pineapple, dried mango. 

Apple Crisp
Change out 2 tsp vanilla extract for orange extract 
Add 1/2 tsp each of ground nutmeg, ginger, allspice
Add dried apples. 

S’mores 
Add 1 tsp almond extract 
Add mini chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. 




No comments: