Saturday, May 12, 2018

"HER CHILDREN SHALL ARISE AND CALL HER BLESSED"

For the past nineteen years, I have been blessed to hold the title of Mom.  The Mirriam Webster dictionary defines Mom in three parts: a female parent, a woman in authority and an elderly woman.
When I looked this up I was rather disappointed.  While I could probably claim any of the three at different times of the day, they don't make my role sound as beautiful as our Father's definition in Proverbs 31.  But then when I read Proverbs 31, it's hard for me to insert my picture beside it.  Like most women I suppose I take my definition from the examples of my mother and my grandmother.  I look back and remember my grandmother keeping my cousin and I in line with her list of rules; no running in the house and cleaning your plate before you leave the dinner table.  But above that I remember the feeling of safety and love I felt when I was with her.  When I recall my mother's care it takes me back to Christmases with countless gifts and a perfect meal, I remember my yard sale buddy and the one who helped me pick out my wedding dress.  I so wish my daughter Madison could have had both women throughout her years as I did.  But the Lord saw fit to take them both before she would turn 4 years old.

There are so many days I would give anything to be the wonderful "mother" they were.  I think if we were all honest we all live in the shadow of our mothers to one extreme or the other.  For many years our family lived what this world would call the American dream.  Both my husband and I had good careers, we took great vacations and I was even in the PTA! But in 2013, God revealed that he wanted a different title for our family...missionaries.  Now, five years later we are living the missionary life. We've never felt more fulfilled in our lives. But I know that many of you can relate when I say that in our world's eyes and even some Christian's eyes, we have failed our daughter.  While on deputation I had one woman tell me that it wasn't fair to our daughter for us to take her from her friends just, so we could become missionaries while one of my daughter's friends shared that her parents said we should wait (five years) when she would be out of school and then go to the mission field.  I must say that there are days when I am down and Satan whispers in my ear and says they were right.  We've lost a lot of friends in this journey to follow God's call.  But then come those days like this week when ministering to ones God has called us to, I look up and there is my daughter serving the Lord right beside me. In a living picture where God confirms in me that His plans are best.  She's happy, she's loving and best of all her life is reflecting her Lord.  Her life is calling me blessed. Maybe, just maybe I can claim a little piece of that Proverbs 31 woman after all.

I know this Mother's Day, many of you will be far away from your mothers and/or your children.  Maybe like me your mother has passed. May God bless you with comfort and love this special day.  For the moms who still have your children close by your side, may God bless you with a day filled with hugs and smiles.  For all of you please know that I will be praying for you on this special day.  May God bless each of you  and lets you know how invaluable you are in the role He created you for, Mother. 

" Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her."
                                                                                                              Proverbs 31:28

2 comments:

Kim said...

Thank you for this. I needed it today! I am far away from my children and my mother this Mother's Day.

Footwear Boss said...

Really awesome. Thanks for this.