Monday, May 7, 2018

Yep...I did that

     It is Monday morning and sometimes the pressures of ministry are weighing heavy on our hearts and minds. As I talked about in my original post, "Please Let Me Introduce Myself," I continually have things in life that happen to make me know that life isn't always serious and if you can't laugh, life would be just plain boring. While my last post about the banana bread was more serious and a great story about God working in the heart of a young lady, today's post is just a good old-fashioned funny story. I hope it makes you laugh as it has done with many others before you.

    When my older girls were younger, and we had recently bought our house, a local hardware store was going out of business. Being the frugal person that I was (and still am), I thought that getting a good price on things to help upgrade the house would be a great idea. So off I went with my two daughters and my good friend, who always helped me when it came to decorating, to find some great deals.
   After spending a few long hours in the store, and looking in nearly every department I think, we were on our way to the checkout, when I saw something that interested me. It was wooden chair rails. You know, the wooden pieces that divide a room in order to put paint or wall paper on the bottom half and do something different on the top half. (This used to be a popular interior design, although I think it is probably not as popular today.) These planks were about nine feet long and looked to have an oak finish to them. I thought that I had the perfect place to put them, but I wondered one thing. How do the ends match up? I mean I was sure that there was some way that they fit together, but did they cut them so that the wood grain matched? I enlisted my friend to help me see.
     I directed her to hold one while I took another one and lifted it to see how it matched up with hers. Well, as you can imagine, nine feet is pretty long, and I should have checked to see if there was anything, or anyone, behind me...but I didn't. As I lifted it to meet hers, I felt it bump something. She was standing facing me and the look on her face could be described as total shock--I can still see her standing there with her mouth open. I turned around to see a man who was short in stature, putting his hand on his forehead and pulling it away clearly checking to see if it was bleeding. While I knew that he was not hurt--it was pretty light weight and there was no cut or even scrap on his head, I did feel terrible about what I had done and apologized. I turned around to see that my friend's expression had changed from shock to hysterical laughter.
     After grabbing my children we left the store, without purchasing anything that we had so diligently gathered and spent the next half hour in the car laughing to the point of tears and laughing to the point of breathlessness--you know the kind that happens when no sound comes out. Over the years, this is one story that can bring laughter between friends. I hope it helped to make you smile and give you a good start to your Monday. Have a great week serving our awesome God!!

              Psalm 126:2  Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The Lord hath done great things for them.


By Sherrie Lester

No comments: