Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Meatballs and Gravy


I'm not a big "gravy" girl.
Mashed potatoes and gravy?
No, thank you. I like mine with butter only!
Turkey and gravy?
Nope, I like mine with just salt and pepper!
Meat loaf and gravy?
No, again! I like mine smothered in ketchup.

But my hubby?
He loves brown gravy......in fact, I think he'd eat it a lot.....if I made it!
Since I don't like gravy, I rarely think of making it.
Since my hubby is such a great guy, he doesn't get upset about it.
Every once in a while though, I remember that he likes gravy.
Then, I remember that even though this dish is a gravy dish, we both like it!
Score!!!

Meatballs & Gravy

1 1/4 lbs. ground beef
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 c. unseasoned bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. Italian seasoning (split into two 1/2 tsp. measurements)
1/2 tsp. black pepper (split into two 1/4 tsp. measurements)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 c. sliced mushrooms
2 Tbsp. flour
1 can beef broth (14 1/2 oz.)
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix beef, egg, bread crumbs, garlic salt, 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
Form into balls, about a tablespoonful each.
Place on greased broiler pan.
Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion and mushrooms and cook 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally or until lightly browned.
Sprinkle flour over mixture, stir and cook 1 minute.
Gradually stir in broth until flour is completely mixed into broth.
Add remaining Italian seasoning, pepper, and nutmeg.
Add meatballs to skillet, reduce heat to medium-low.
Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve over noodles.
Alternative for when you are short on time

Instead of making meatballs, season ground beef with 1/2 tsp. garlic salt, 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
Cook ground beef on medium-high heat until no longer pink in the middle.
(You will not need the egg or bread crumbs.)
Make the gravy as directed, adding the cooked ground beef to the skillet instead of the meatballs.
Cover, simmer, and serve over noodles as per directions above.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Chris and Carole said...

My family LOVES meatballs and I'm always open for new ways to make them!!! Looks yummy! (except for the mushrooms... LOL that's something that NO one in my family likes!)