Friday, March 29, 2013

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Children are so funny. What amazes me is that many times they are not even trying to be funny; they think they are just stating the facts.


Here in Ghana, the pronunciation of English words sometimes throws Bonnie for a loop. Several times, she was just sure that the way they pronounced a word at school was the way it was supposed to be. She is starting to figure out that there are some words that we just say differently. One morning, Bonnie said, “Mom, yesterday in school we learned about 'Matilda.'” I looked at her funny. She said, “You know, Mom; threads hold it together; we call it material!” 

Gilbert, our oldest son, turned eight recently. He had been eagerly awaiting his eighth birthday because Daddy said that he could have a pocket knife when he turned eight. He got a Swiss army knife for his birthday and was so excited about it. The day after his birthday, he was headed out the door for school. He said, “I just need to go take a little peek at my pocket knife to make sure that it is okay.”

In my 7 and under junior church class, we have been singing “Christ Arose” every week. One little boy who comes faithfully was sitting on the edge of the bench during that song. He was waiting for “He arose” in the chorus. When we got to that part, he belted out, “Re ahose!” It was so cute; I had a hard time continuing to sing. Every time we got to “He arose,” he sang, “Re ahose!” at the top of his voice.

One Sunday during Sunday School, Bonnie came up to me and said, "Mom, do you want me to say it in Fante for you after you say it in English?" She wanted to be my translator. The only problem is that her "Fante" is mostly words that she has made up.

On Mother's Day last year, Joe brought me breakfast in bed. Gilbert asked, “When is it boys' day?”

One day when I was making cupcakes, I had a little extra batter. So, I made a small cake with it. We were eating that for a snack. After everyone got a piece, there was still some left. I asked if anyone wanted a little sliver. I guess the kids had not heard the word "sliver" before. Bonnie said, "Mom, I'm eating my snorter." She was close!!

If you have a language blooper or some other funny story that you would like to share with us, please e-mail it to me at loconsford@gmail.com. Please include the name of each family member, your field of service, and a picture of your family if possible.

Until next week, keep your sunny side up!

No comments: